Converting forum guests to members, suggestions please?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

At anyone time we generally have about 10 guests viewing Business Advice Forum, for every member online. This ratio is quite high, other forums I visit, appear to have an average of about 4 guests, for every member online. Having guests on our forums is great and they are most welcome. However, it would be great if more of them joined and became members.

Do you have any suggestions for improvements we could make to BAF, to encourage these guests to register?

Thanks!

2. Clinton

Clinton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Doesn't the ratio just suggest that you maybe have a lot of good threads that SEs and others are sending traffic to?

Also, some of those "guests" may be members who are not signed in.

To convert the others you could have some special offer pop up for the guests that none of the signed in members can see.

You may want to consider that if they need persuasion to join they may not contribute to the site and may remain forever as lurkers.

3. Nathan

Nathan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's always good to have guests, don't forget guests are potential members. Ive also noticed from past experience having a nice and inviting welcome message with a login box / register box (or link even works) are quite helpful and turn guests into users but then again it's not exactly a 100% guests to member ratio. With BAF, the contests should help, but it depends where the guests are from, it depends whether their from other sites or SE and what they search in the SEs. Either way, there shouldn't be an issue with the guests here as the contests should always rack in some members constantly.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for your replies Clinton and Nathan. I'm delighted to have so many guests here, they are all most welcome. It would be great if more of our guests would join the forum and become helpful participants, I'll consider any offers we could make to help with that and any improvements that we could make to our welcome page.

5. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting the visitor by a variety of promotional means which we have here is one great thing. In addition, making an extra advertisements on welcome page and intext links which are only shown to guests and once they register and sign in, they can view the full page with the ads being disabled. Considering a video clip on the benefits of membership and how to register sections could also help. I think these bring more value to registering and becoming a member of the forum.

6. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there a system where you only allow members to view a certain amount of threads before having to join up? I've seen it on a few other vB forums.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Gerry, good ideas that I will look into further.

Thanks for the suggestion Keaton, I'd be reluctant to do that, because I'm delighted for guests and search engines to view our content. Really what I'm looking for, is suggestions to improve the forum, so that more guests will feel that it is worth while to join and start posting.

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All guests have a potential to become a member. But one thing is left undone.
    This is a forum and all members work to make this forum better in terms of content and such. And what we all need to do is keep up the work and share more our knowledge to the world. This way, we could earn more members to join the forum and share their knowledge with us.

9. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal
    You got a really healthy forum and many members seems to be contribute to the community which is a great support. I feel guest are good and important to the forum and I know you are concerned about the ratio. Your current competition is good only if they become members not if they are guest. I know it is one way to make them members but at the same time you need to get the pulse of guest who are not joining as members.

Few things which came to my mind,
    1. Why not take a survey or poll and see what they are looking and give some points or gifts for taking the survey or poll?

2. How about collaborating with certain senior forum members and make them as experts. THen you can advertise as experts opinion on certain things if they want personal attention? Sometimes business owners or wannabe entreprenuers might not want to publish it publicly. This might help in this case.

3. Finally, may be add comparision or what they can learn and earn from this forum by showing the current members experience.

Hope this helps.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for those ideas houstonVijai, I especially like the idea of conducting a survey and may implement it in the near future.

11. aitendant

aitendant
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

I see you point regarding guests and I like the idea of the survey for every guest that enters the site. I would also suggest get way more guests. Hopefully they will translate to more members.

1. Consider asking everyone to recommend a friend per post (Quote, Thanks, etc.). Members that do this will get a gold star or automatically entered into a contest. One entry for each unique email address. Email address cannot be used more than once per week. Simplified invite your friends link.

2. Guest start on a simplified sign up page. Key sign up information displayed on top of the forum. They can still scroll down to see they information they are looking for but they dont need to go looking for the Register link. Registration become assumed. Connect with facebook and sign up should be front and center, right below the top blue bar with the Forum Home, BAF $1,250 Twitter ...

Hope this helps.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions aitendant. We previously ran a referral contest but unfortunately it didn't work very well. Members rewarded people for signing up and posting and we got a lot of people joining because they wanted the reward, not because they really wanted to be here. The unfortunate result was that we got a lot of unwanted spam.

Thanks for your suggestions re the "Registration" link, I will give that a lot of consideration.

13. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1> Guests can only have a look at 2 to 5 threads ( As you wish )
    After The limit the Guests or Member need to login to view more Thread ( post )
    2> When a Guest visit the forum ....a popup msg welcome the visitors to take part in 20,000 Contest
    3> Can have contest ...the best Guests to Member

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the helpful suggestions realitybites.in.

Sounds like a great idea, may actually implement something like that in the future.

Would that be a contest along the lines of best new member?

15. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it same as Best New Member

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But I'm thinking how can we implement it?
    Like in terms of "how long is s/he a member?" or "when did he register?"
    Something along those lines.

17. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Memeber should be active for 45 day ..... ( as you wish )

and every week or every month.... we can choose the best member who has joined the forum before 45 days and if member is 44 days old ..then he will be a part of next competition ..... and reward them