Contxts.com - Paperless Business Cards

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Fergal, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are traditional business cards going out of fashion?

How would you like to give your business card via SMS, so it won't get lost and you can to do your bit for the environment? Contxts might just have the solution.

From their website;

Their website could probably do with a little sprucing up and they need to expand the service so that it has a global reach. I've singed up but it would appear that the service can only be used for US mobile numbers. However, it's a great concept and I believe the idea could fly.

So what do you think will Contxts be a huge success?

2. jwhitakr

jwhitakr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is an interesting idea, and one that could take off. They are really going to have to get some marketing dollars behind the idea, though, to reach critical mass. If I were the marketing folks at Contxts, I would try to get some influential / high-profile users signed up to get the ball rolling and making their product appeal to the masses.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I do like the idea of getting high profile users, that would give the service a great PR boost. Do you think the service might have the potential to go viral and hence not require huge marketing dollars? I don't remember ever seeing an ad for Google or for Twitter.

4. jwhitakr

jwhitakr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good question. However, I don't think this idea is unique enough to go viral. Or at least it wouldn't go viral until a good chunk of marketing dollars have been thrown behind it. I have seen a lot of business card related products / services before, and this just seems to be a slight twist to those already existing products.

Google, Twitter, Myspace, etc. were original enough that they didn't need a big marketing budget.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good & innovative idea..but here in India people are still of conservative mind set & they prefer hard copy rather than soft one...I am myself facing problem with this.so chances are little that it will get success in India..!!!
    sorry for going off topic ..I will discuss my problem in other thread...

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the idea but am fond of real business cards too. I think there's room for both out there and it doesn't have to be a case of either/or. They can complement each other rather than be in competition.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great Idea Kay!!!
    But then the very purpose of paperless business card i.e. prevention of environmental degradation can not be stopped...
    However, back some time ago I have read that instead of using pulp from trees paper can be manufactured from specific grass pulp too, which will give a new cash crop & will also help in the prevention of environmental degradation...Thereby giving room for both sms & paper business card...Nowadays people are also opting for other mediums of business card like recycled paper, plastic cards etc...:)

8. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

good idea but honestly, a traditional business card can never go out of fashion. it'll always remain in style. i don't think this site will be very popular. if they add printing cards like printbell.com, then YES it could be.

9. neo666

neo666
    uix_expand uix_collapse

with the advent of wireless technology, i suppose paperless is the keyword, and yes SMS business cards are here to stay

10. bojomojo

bojomojo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

still people will have to know what to msg to which number, which means that you still will give them some info on how to do it.
    Plus one purpose of business cards is advertising to ppl who dont know you or the company, that purpose is lost on here.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Bojomojo, I usually keep a few of my accountant's business cards in my wallet and I give them to anyone I think might benefit from his services.

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I also believe that paper cards or more preferably non sms business cards( since business cards can be manufactured using plastic & recycled paper too.) will never be out of fashion ,,...as you can notice that in all exhibitions, trade fairs or conferences it is a necessary custom to submit your business card before making an entry into them..sms business card will not be an effective solution in this case too!!!

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Paper business cards also have the advantage that you can scribble a few notes or additional contact details onto them.

14. alltimeprint

alltimeprint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well i don't think that business cards are going out fashion in fact various business groups are using plastic cards for their business since plastic cards have a great quality and easily available at inexpensive prices.alltimeprint[dot]com provides superior quality plastic business cards

15. pauldave11

pauldave11
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its grate idea but i don't think that traditional business cards are going out of fashion. Instead There are other types of cards are in demand like Plastic card.