contractor manager Director to VP

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by skyler, Jun 10, 2010.

1. skyler

skyler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hope this is the right place to ask this question:

Been moonlighting at night for a company for a few years. I run the entire network infrastructure. For a few months we have been talking about bringing me on full time.
    I finally got an offer letter. I would have all the responsibility of a manager (including building and running a team) but would not be a manager. There is the promise that once things settle down a bit (this is a tech start-up in second year of super growth mode), I will jump to director.

I found out that they are also searching for a IT VP. It would seem to me that a VP would bring in or hire their own Directors and not promote from below. I say this b/c a VP without an effective management team that he has used in the past or that are recommended to him from trusted sources would make him just a well paid man in a chair shaking hands and getting acquainted with everyone.

What has been people's experience (if any) with this kind of scenario.

This is kind of the hinge for me, since if the promise of promotion and greater pay is only a pipe dream, then I would rather stay at my current full-time job.

FYI the job that was offered to me would only pay $4k more per year then my current full time job and will require 3 times the work and a title demotion. But like I said, the prospect of a promotion and raise in the near term was discussed.

Opinions?
    thanks

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum skyler and thanks for asking your question. Leaving pay and titles aside, which job would you prefer in terms of enjoyment and what you would learn from doing the job?

Did the company tell you this themselves or did you find out through some other means?

Personally if I was happy and challenged in a job, I'd be reluctant to move for a $4K salary increase, especially if the move also involved a title demotion.

3. skyler

skyler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the welcome and you comments.

I must admit when the offer came I was disappointed. I wanted to reject it in the meeting, but that would be bad form. I consider myself fortunate to have a job and luckier still to have a competing offer. They are good people there and I felt the offer deserved a good internal debate with myself at the very least.

My would be manager did tell me about the IT VP hiring, but had only just found out about it.
    I do understand why they would hire a VP for IT at this time. They would want to establish a pedigree at the upper levels. It would make them more attractive for a buyout or investment if the company were to go public, etc.

The new job would vastly build on my skills, but is still a "start-up" with all the possible hazards (losing funding, losing competitive edge, massive layoffs). The current job i have been at for 5 years is at an established company. We downsized last year so I am it for the IT department so the job is secure. At the current job the IT needs of users are basic and everything is "dialed in" and running smoothly, so I actually get to research and workbench new OS, etc. with my extra time. I must challenge myself at this job as the IT needs here are not challenging.
    The new job would be on the ground running, building out a new office and putting out fires, etc., typical of a start-up; i.e. challenging

Other factors:
    We also have just bought a house and a baby is coming this fall. No worries, just the three biggest decisions/stressors (buying a house, having a child, deciding whether to change a job) in an adult life all happening in 4 months time! LOL

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's typical for everything to happen at once like that :) congratulations and good luck with everything.

You will have to give the offer serious consideration, weigh up all the factors and make a definite decision on it. If it was me, I'd probably ask for a higher salary in the new job. If they weren't prepared to give it, I'd probably stay where I am and try to find ways of making my current job better and applying myself more to it.

Please do post back to let us know what you decide and I wish you the very best of luck with it.

5. malkyb

malkyb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Skyler - the thing that would worry me the most is the prospect of the new baby coming and an unpredictable future. If you are relishing the challenge of fire-fighting and getting your hands dirty - try to hold those thoughts then add in how you are going to feel with sleepless nights when the baby won't sleep.....
    I have never been afraid of a challenge and have been there and got the T-shirt! Anything is possible but at the end of the day better the devil you know than the devil you don't sometimes. If you have worked with your current employer for some time you should get some breaks if the baby isn't well or have other issues (they always arise!) - contrast that with the attitude of the new employer where you are the new boy and want to start taking time off while the fires are raging...
    Good luck whatever you choose!