Contractor: Charge for working dinner?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Rikaelus, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Rikaelus

Rikaelus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just another little odd situation that I'm not sure how to handle properly...

I'm a 1099 contractor with my former employer and my contact there (former boss) has asked for a meeting to go over some information. The first part of this meeting will take place during dinner that's his treat. There's nothing in the contract to address this and he's the person who approves hours I invoice.

Is it proper for me to charge for the time during dinner?
    I feel like kind of a prick charging full rate when I'm getting a free meal and when my focus won't be 100% on work.
    Maybe charge half rate minus the cost of my meal?

Heck, I feel kind of dumb even asking this, but I have no idea what contractor etiquette is in situations like this.

Thanks in advance

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally, if I was getting a lot of work from this person, I wouldn't charge for my time at the dinner, especially if it's a once off. Charging for your time when he is taking you to dinner, has the potential to create bad feeling that could damage your future relationship.

3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would agree with Fergal here. Depending on how important this meeting is for you and the possible gains from it. It would be good to not charge for it since you are already getting the dinner free so you should let this one go.

4. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should not charge for the dinner,this will give negative impact on your boss.

5. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with everyone else here about this. What is more important to you? Getting paid for that half an hour or keeping a good relationship with your employer?

I think you would be nuts to charge him for time during a dinner that he paid for. It has more potential to tarnish that relationship.