continueing business or school?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by diana, Oct 21, 2009.

1. diana

diana
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hi all,
    I need your advice about my dilemma.
    I think you all capable to give me a good advice.
    I have to make a hard choice, continuing my study or my business.

I am a girl, 18 years old. I live with my mother. I stop to continue my study about a year ago because i must take care to my mother cause of sick.
    Then I send many application to many company to get a job. One day i receive a respond from a company to be their business partner. I got this company from internet. I use my home yard as my first store and they supply all the products to fill my store free. Now my business give me much money. But my mother ask me to continue my study. She said that business is not always good. I receive a sholarship from one local university for biology major. I dont like it, i prefer to be a lawyer.
    Now i have about USD 82,000 in local bank from my business, if i continue my study, i want to take it abroad.

I have two question for you all;
    1. If you were me, what you should do, continuing your study or your business. I am still young.
    2. How much is the cost of school fee and live cost in abroad university?

If you want to send me a private advice, here is my email address dian4rodos-at-gmail-dot-com

Thank you.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it's really a hard choice. I remember my mother saying that once you get hold of and earning money, it's hard to go back.
    If you really want to study while having a business, you can enroll to a home study course and you can study at your own pace plus, if you need help, the school will help you on your understanding of your lessons.

Here's a good home study school: www.pennfoster.edu
    And if you want to see some views of our fellow BAF members, here's a similar thread about your problem: http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=2490&highlight=education

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Diana, welcome to Business Advice Forum and sorry to hear that your Mum was sick. One recommendation I would make is that if you want to become a lawyer don't study biology. Your business success is proof that you are extremely capable and can do anything that you put your mind to. If you want to be a lawyer, stick with that and find a relevant course. Don't accept biology as a second best, when you don't need to.

As GekiDan suggested there are lots of good courses that you can do part time. Have you considered doing one of those and continuing your business at the same time?

Not all education comes from school or college, running your own business is a great education and you will have already learnt a lot from that. Your decision really comes down to what you want from life. If you want to be a business person you might want to stick with that. If you want to be a lawyer go for it.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. I will never give up my business but i will take part time course. This is like what i'm doing now. Of course, you need to spend alot of energy to handle both business and study. However, i can say it is worth.

2. It is depends on which country and which university/college. It will be better if you can provide more information, so that the member can give more details answer

5. shubh

shubh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can share your business responsibilities by hiring good professionals. Your mum is saying right, you should pursue your studies. I think, you can manage both if the business is running satisfactory.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But that means spending alot on these people. Plus, it hard to trust other people on managing your business. If your parents like it, you can let them manage your business while you study.

7. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Of course I chose to continue my studies. moreover it can make the hearts of my parents to be happy
    2. The cost depends on the state and the university of your choice

For UK
    - Estimated living expenses - CAN$400 - $800 per month
    - Undergraduate course fees on average range from CAN$6,000 to CAN$17,500 per year.*
    - Graduate course fees on average range from CAN$6,500 to CAN$33,000 per year.*
    - Course duration ranges from 3-4 years for undergraduate courses and 1+ years for postgraduate courses

*Please note that courses in medicine and some engineering programs may be more expensive than the costs given. See the course descriptions on this site for the most up-to-date course costs.

for US
    - Estimated living cost for a month for international students
    - Apartment stay-300-400$ ( if it is shared by two or three it may come around 200$)
    - Telephone bill-100$ ( excluded if we use mail or chat )
    - Daily utilities-10$ ( brush, paste, napkin etc.)
    - Food-100-300$ ( if self preparation of food or else 300$ or more in restaurants )
    - Travel-20$

Net total expense- 530-700$ a month for relaxed stay or if we try to minimize that it comes around 400$ net for constricted stay.

8. zenab

zenab
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think you choose your study and handover your business to your mom and keep one guy or girl for her help if i am on your place i choose studies first because later on you will become
    more independent and confident person just because of your studies. best of luck

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a very clever solution. Fair play to you for thinking outside the box.

10. jourgeoct09

jourgeoct09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its really very difficult to make choice from one of them business or study.
    Why shouldn't you try for distance learning courses?

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on the person who really wants to study while having a business.
    If you want to finish college for a short period of time, you can apply for a short course. If you like to draw, you can home study Cartooning or Fine Arts. Getting a course depends on ones likes.

12. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can do part time study depending on the course you wish to pursue.

13. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well what is there to study if you business is doing well? If I was you, I would carry on with your business and if it does ever fail you can study. Studying will be an option for the rest of your life whereas your business might not.

14. johndale

johndale
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just don't give up on your business. It's all about time management. Take your school as part time just do the best of both worlds for you to get your goals too.