Contest ideas for forums?

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Jerlene, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you were running a contest on a forum what kind of contest would it be? I'm sick of the top poster type of contests, its overdone. I know it brings in a lot of activity but I would want to try something completely different. Any ideas?

2. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How about the first x to give 5 Quality Backlink (your preference)/ Social mentions (#hashtag or @yourforum) to the Forum in exchange for a giveaway?

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess but for something like that I wouldn't offer to good of a prize so there would probably be little to no participants.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

What about a most helpful member contest? I know that it is also done a lot, but at least with a contest like that you are rewarding the members who make the most helpful contribution to your community.

5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That would actually be a good contest. I don't see a lot of those, it's mostly the top poster, so that would be fun to run. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think a contest rewarding backlinks would be a good idea.

1) It could be seen as a form of payment (if there's a prize) so you're publicly putting yourself at the mercy of your competitors if they want to report you to Google or not (paid link penalty)

2) In the process you'd likely get people pointing spam links or using unscrupulous tactics to point links at your site which could get you penalised or adversely affect your search rankings indirectly.

7. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well there would of course be rules that they would have to follow, like the types of sites they can link back from.