Content or Link???

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by RestOwner, Oct 27, 2010.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which is best for SEO.. the content or the link?? for me it is the content, how about yours??

Don't hesitate to share your opinions... ;)

2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well SEO is your site optimization, so the obvious answer would be content.
    If you're talking about SEM (search engine marketing) then it would be the quality of the link and anchor text.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Brandon makes a good point. The O in "SEO" stands for "Optimization", which would refer to the coding and content of your site. If you are using the term "SEO" to mean "organic marketing", then the quantity of quality links would be what you are looking for.

4. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Contents and Links are very important to a website. They have different ways to advertise to give you a better result.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content is king says I! :D But I'll bow the experience of those more well versed in SEO than I am. :)

Brandon and joe: So does that mean time is better spent on creating quality content or quality link building?

6. SMSmarketing

SMSmarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content might be king, but nobody is going to see it without backlinks. You can argue all day long, but I can say that quality backlinks are going to blow good content out of the water when it comes to actually getting people to view your site.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good question there RestOwner, nice to see something that causes a little controversy. For me the answer is both, you need content so that your site has something of value for your visitors and you need backlinks so that they find out about your site.

However, if I was forced to come off the fence I would choose content. If you have really great content the search engine spiders will find you and real human visitors will find you as a result. Due to the fact that your content is good, at least a small proportion of these visitors will tell their friends about your site, and / or link to you from their own sites.

In my opinion back links without good content is not going to help you very much, visitors will find you, then leave your site never to return and without having engaged with you or your business. There is too much good stuff on the web, for visitors to waste their time on poor quality sites.

8. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well both equally important for me. Without content there will be no meaning of links and truw for opposite too. So both for me :)

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

both of them are important. If you can only choose one, always go for the contentThe reason is quality content site are able to give you natural link. If you have many backlink without quality to support, none of the visitor will return, and nobody will give you natural link, it cant last long without content

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Both are important when it comes to SEO. But if I were to choose one, I'll go for content.
    If you have a good content, certainly, people, your readers, will naturally create backlinks for your site.

11. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As said you need both. No point having the worlds best content if nobody is going to read it and no point having good links if you have blank pages.

12. theodoreenfield

theodoreenfield
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Both is Important but relevant and quality of content is most important in every site after that link is important.

13. ComJan

ComJan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends on your strategy, niche products and services, content

Generic, links

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Seems we're in same boat...lol

15. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

;)Wow! you guys are really into SEO... ;)

16. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

As GekiDan pointed out, if you have good content, visitors will create backlinks for you. Doing it this way, however, it may take awhile for you to get enough links for the search engines to notice you. You also cannot control the quality of the backlinks you receive this way. On the other hand, there are other avenues to advertise your site to bring in visitors.
    If you have the money, and can find a reputable marketer, you can hire someone to provide backlinks for you, thereby raising your ranking, and bringing more visitors. If not, you will have to find other ways to bring visitors to your site, who will then create backlinks if they like your site. You can also attempt to create your own backlinks, making sure they are from quality sites.
    In summary, quality content will inspire visitors to create backlinks, which may or may not help, depending on the quality of the backlinks you receive. But quality backlinks will bring more of the type of visitors you are looking for.

17. EvanP

EvanP
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I would say content>link. As Kay pointed out above, if your content is good enough, eventually users will start to build links for you. :)

18. frankingmachine

frankingmachine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say links and contents go together. That's the essence of SEO. For me, both of them are really important in Search Engine Optimization. Thanks folks for sharing your thoughts by the way.

19. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

nice explanation you got there joeroxx!!:thumbsup:
    hope those who are new on this kind of thing would be enlighten :):):)

20. Daedorax

Daedorax
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed. Both things should be important to you during SEO and always on your mind, but if you wanna focus on something more than focus on content. Do not leave out link though, because although you have great content, you could fail to due the link