Considering & Undecided

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by dan213, Aug 5, 2010.

1. dan213

dan213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey everyone,

I am considering starting up a new site for me to give a shot with but really undecided on what type of potential it will have due to their being big competitors.

I have been considering starting a url shortening service (similar to bit.ly & tinyurl.com), those are two popular names so I can't decide if its something worth attempting. I found the script I would use and have a couple domains in mind but would appreciate some input, criticism, encouragement, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

2. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hm... its a nice idea but just look that you get the shortest url possible .

3. dan213

dan213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the reply, yeah I got a couple really short urls that are being considered but just need to decide if this is something to attempt.

4. John1

John1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As always a URL shortening service is always good for the members to use. But as you stated there is high competition regarding this niche and you would have to have something unique regarding your website.

Have you thought about adding a number of services such as Website Analysis, Check Pagerank, URL Shortening? Offering all of these on one site could make you more unique over others.

5. dan213

dan213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your reply and yes I have considered those things also. I would probably start off with URL Shortening and add more "services" as time went on. I would like to get a feel for things before having a bunch of other services.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

dan213 what are your objectives for the site, for example;

1. Do you want the create the site for the experience of building and publishing it?
    2. Do you want to run the site and make a small bit of money from it every month?
    3. Do you plan on earning a salary from the site?

One and two would be possible, with a bit of effort.

However, if you plan on building the site to make a full time income from it, you will have a strong challenge ahead of you. To do that you will have to find a way to differentiate your site from the existing competition. The service would need to be different in a way that would be of value or interest to your users. Do you have any ideas in mind, as to what advantages your service would have over the existing competition?

7. dan213

dan213
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would be looking for number 2 but also just to try something besides a forum. I don't have any BIG ideas at the moment but like John1 mentioned there are things that I have considered.

This was literally something that just popped in my head yesterday and I've been considering it ever since, I believe everything happens for a reason including ideas.I have been involved with forums now since I was 11 (I'm 21) and would like to expand my knowledge and test some other waters.

Of course a salary would be excellent but I don't expect that to come anytime soon, if ever. Thanks for the reply Fergal, I am leaning towards giving it a go but still a little hesitant.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Dan, if your aim is to make a small bit of money every month, then just go for it. The initial set up cost won't be significant and as long as the service is reasonable you will get some traffic to the site, by promoting it for free on forums you visit, etc. If the site doesn't turn out to be as profitable as you'd hoped, you will have learned a lot from the process of setting it up and launching it, without incurring any great costs. And, who knows you might figure out a way to make your service unique and much better than the existing short URL services.

As already mentioned by Shole, use a very short domain name and try to use one that's memorable and easy to communicate. That way, once people start using your service others will see your short domain and a proportion of them will visit your site and start using it also.

Please do let us know if you launch it and you will get some initial users from here.

Good luck with it!