confusion related to Website maintenance

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kelly Wessels, May 18, 2010.

1. Kelly Wessels

Kelly Wessels
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a little confused, is the cost of website development is more than the cost of website maintenance? It's tough guessing a price of website maintenance by the hourly plans offered by few sites.

Do we need so much of maintenance after the website is done? I am planning to have an ecommerce site to sell goodies online.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is common. The reason those web developing company charge higher cost in maintenance compare to new website due to the below reason
    1. They provide low cost in web development which mean they are not earning money from web development, they only need to get customer and earn from the maintenance or service in future. This is one kind of strategy which is Xbox did before.
    2. Maintenance charge high due to considering the web is developed by other company, it might take long time on reading the code and need to spend more time than develop new website.

For the maintenance, basically it is only updating or renewing the content, it depends whether your website need to updating or renewing frequently or not. Most of the company only do the maintenance once or twice a year.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Kelly and thanks for posting your questions. There are some things you can do to help keep your website maintenance costs down and avoid any nasty surprises in the future, these include;

1. Hosting your website with someone other than your website designer. This makes it easier for you to get a new designer in the future, if you are not happy with the services you are receiving
    2. Registar your domain name with someone other than your designer or host - personally I'd recommend NameCheap.com. Again this makes it easier to switch designer or host, if you are not happy with their prices or services
    3. Ask your website designer about building you a site that you can update yourself, through a content management system (CMS)
    4. When approaching a website designer, ask that their quote includes details of how they will charge you for website maintenance.

Good luck with it!

4. makatiofficespace

makatiofficespace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is a scam if that is the case.

5. Kelly Wessels

Kelly Wessels
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Guys, Actually I am planning to have an ecommerce site. Its in the design stage now. After my site is done and made live I will need to do content and image changes. This would be a regular but repetitive work which wont be too tough. So for such type of job the design company is charging a bit too much I feel. Even if I choose their hourly maintenance plan I might end up paying more, how will I judge the time taken by the company to complete the job is an actual valid time. I might get duped by the hourly plan.

So trying to find out a less complicated and affordable way for my site's future maintenance. Any recommendations?

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If the "maintenance" is just changing the image and content without touch on the template or add new gadget ect. Then you can actually get a freelancer to do that for you, the cost is much cheaper. However, you need to be very careful when choosing the freelancer.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice to meet you Kelly, welcome! :) Are they installing you a CMS (content management system) like Joomla, Drupal or Wordpress? If so, you can learn to update the content and images yourself. It's not hard to add them to a cart once the cart's installed but there is a learning curve. Maybe if you told us the rates and how much content you expect to update monthly, we'd be able to tell you if it sounds reasonable.

No offence, but it never ceases to amaze me how often those that can't do it themselves say "it will only be a five minute job" when they have no idea what's involved. I get that all the time with writing web content.

Sometimes it's their experience you're paying for as well. If you do something to mess up the database, and it's easily done when you're just learning, you're going to have to pay even more to get them to fix it. That may well prove more costly than it would to have them just do the updates for you in the first place.

I spoke to a guy last week that seriously thought you could copy/paste links from another site to your own just by pasting it onto your homepage, as long as yours was open in your browser.No admin panel, no nothing, just slap it on that screen and Bob's your uncle. I thought he was joking. He wasn't.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If they are a reputable business they won't overcharge you like that. However, there is a simple way of checking on them. When they complete a task for you and bill you for it, post details here on Business Advice Forum, of what the task was and how long they billed you to complete the task. We will let you know if the time billed was reasonable.

9. charlesying

charlesying
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Design your website in open-source CMS (content management system) as its very easy to edit, with no web design experience required and What’s more, this can all be administered by non-technical staff in an extremely simple, user-friendly way, instantly and from anywhere.

10. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My first instinct was the same to suggest open source CMS like WordPress, joomla or Drupal - however it sounds like it is too late for that the project is underway and happening so it is in effect too late to as about ongoing maintenance fees as you are almost beholden to your company. Unless you can learn the updates, find a reliable outsourcer etc.

The most important lesson here is to be careful of details before signing up and that we in web development, design field need to get the info out there about questions to ask before committing. For those of us who use open source CMS with ease of use we need to explain why that's improtant. We need to explain about transferring sites between hosts and companies should you desire. About SEO love different platforms get etc etc etc

My charging basis for "minor: changes works this way - many clients want these to be free. I'll give you full handover training. If it is minor you'll be happy to do it there and then with ease for free. If it is not something you'll do then it is not minor and you'll be charged a fee for that. Because I have given handover training they have a reasonable guide as to time it'll take and I also try to give a $xx which is equivalent to YY idea of work and time guide.

However for you Kelly I think you have to trust now that you have signed a reputable firm and also not be afraid to ask them to give you an idea of how long different jobs will take (which you can then vet with others like here for whether they are reasonable or ridiculously inflated). Build your relationship with them now, be reasonable and learn from them (rather than seeming like you are subjecting them to an untrusted interrogation LOL) and they most likely will be happy to share and price fairly.

11. Arthur_Dickons

Arthur_Dickons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Kelly

Why don't you try Sumow .com they might be the right choice for you as they charge very less for website maintenance. Only 1 dollor per page. Had never heard about them earlier but sounds interesting.

12. JamesD31

JamesD31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Kelly,

Like everyone else says, it depends upon how long and how much they are charging you for us to tell you specifically if it is overcharging or not. Plus, you just need content and images updated? Would this be weekly, monthly, daily?

Also, as far as I can tell you are doing a eCommerce website, so you will get a back-end (Admin Panel) no matter what to manage the website. So, a CMS is NOT needed in this case (as others have posted). Yes, you won't be able to change every page automatically, and this is what the maintenance fees are for and such.

If you really need someone to make minor edits, and you still feel they are overcharging you, I can help you out. So, feel free to send me an email at [email protected] sometime or PM me on here.