Confusion about Duplicate Content Penalty

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by GekiDan, Apr 3, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While doing some online research on blog promotion, I was brought to this site called: DevHunters and there's a thread there regarding Duplicate Content Penalty. As we all know, Google penalizes sites or pages with duplicated content. This will lead to non-indexing or ban from search engines.

But this article states that Google doesn't give penalties on duplicated content. And said that penalties are for spammers.

Here's the link to that thread: http://www.devhunters.com/search-engine-optimization/17229-duplicate-content-penalty.html

This left me confused on what to believe in...

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't believe that Google will ban your site for duplicate content. However, I do believe that they will penalize it. If someone searches for a particular term, Google doesn't want to show links to the same content, as the first ten results on their search results page. If you copy someone else's content and that content already ranks highly for the search term, Google are unlikely to add a link to your page beside a link to the original content, in the search results. Hence, it is better to have original content.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks Fergal for your views.
    I would also like to hear the views of other members about this matter.

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True enough but they have answered the issue in their second section, where they talk about duplicate content being filtered out.

Google loves and ranks original content well.

However there is no harm publishing duplicate content or ezine reprints (provided you stick to the terms and conditions) except that it won't get you any Google rankings love or boost your position in the search results - really.

For example most of us will post onto our blog first - original content, then publish that article to ezine (ezine do not penalize you for having it on your blog first but that is the only place they will accept the content being published).

The places that penalize duplicate content are ezine, article directories, hub pages and the like - where they will not publish and/or can ban your account.

You can rewrite your original article (article spinners do not do a good job of this) to be greater than 30% unique content (at a minimum change the title, first and last paragraphs) and publish in a number of places with links driving traffic back to your site without any dramas. One other trick is to change the keywords to related ones when rewriting to mazimize your traffic generation.

So it is not about being banned by Google it just about not getting much love! Duplicate content and reprinted articles can serve a purpose where you need content to boost your site but you would want to keep it to a minimum especially if you want to be able to establish yourself as an expert.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So this means after I have posted an article on my blog, I can publish it to ezine before somebody copy it from my blog? And what if some people copy it and post in their blog before it get published in ezine?

6. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have an article on this, and will publish it in my blog later, but this is the gist of it:

There is no duplicate content penalty. Assuming Google has already indexed that had the original article, Google uses its PR ranking system and the value of content and the link to determine how your site gets indexed. The more important the site, the more seen it will be. The higher PR site with the content will be seen first on google. If Google sees the methods being used are Black hat then you will be penzlized, so if a higher PR site uses its PR rank to manipulate your site's ranking then Google will penalize them, and you are fine.

7. Brain

Brain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks dotDavid for your valuable input but this is not a good news. It means that blogs or sites with high PR can manipulate Google algorithm which is bad. I think the best way is to ping Google every time you update fresh content on your blog. this will yours will be indexed and thus you don't need to worry.

8. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Although this may be true, if Google sees this as some sort of tactic, and they can also note the date of publish or indexed, they will see it as blackhat methods, thus penalizing them.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another question, if someone posted an article on his blog but Google haven't indexed it yet, then another one will copy and post it on his own blog that has high PR and got indexed automatically after publishing. And then, the original writer's blog is indexed, days after he posted the original article.

Which site will be considered as the original and duplicated content?

10. Brain

Brain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GekiDan, I agree with you. I think I would have to do some research on it. I'm not too sure how it all goes because had that been the case, then people would stop blogging from the fear that some one else will copy their content. I agree with dotdavid, that whenever you publish, the date and timings are always saved. Thus i assume that if such case arises google can tackle that by crawling the post timings of publishing.

11. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, I published the article: http://www.semreach.com/seo/duplicate-content on my blog.

Hopefully it will clear a few things up. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. For the other site to succeed, they will have to be developed, have a PR, be in your niched, have a good SERP, and so why would they need to copy your content? Wouldn't they already have quality article writers?

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, you are right. But there are people who worries to much on this topic so I posted this thread so that they can be enlightened.:cool:

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great blog post David. I've tweeted it and commented on your blog. You say that when faced with duplicate content, Google will show the web page with the highest PR in their SERP. Do they pay any attention to which web page was published first?

14. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, most definitely. Its all part of Google's very complicated algorithms, and does affect where that content is listed on Google searches.

Cheers for the RT and comment. :)

15. Brain

Brain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks David. I went through the link that you have posted. It was really helpful. Over all your blog posts were really good.