Conflicting information

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by LukeW, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LukeW

LukeW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently took over a clothing business that is strictly ecommerce,online only sales. I am capturing funds in Minnesota, however, I warehouse, print, and ship out of Florida. Currently I have the business registered in MN as that is where the funds are captured. My concern is should I be registered in FL instead or both? And do I take MN income tax out for my FL employees? I am not getting the answers I need from accountants and hopefully someone here will be able to help. Much appreciated.

2. bizwizgenie12

bizwizgenie12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Business registered in one U.S. state; operations in another

Hi,

You have registered your business in one state (MN), where quite likely you or your investors are based. From what you say, your operations (your warehouse - a fixed asset - and your cloth-printing machinery and shipment operations of the finished goods) are carried out in another state (FL).

Not going too much in details about the taxation laws applicable for employees in these specific two states, you may read up on the following link if you have not already done so: http://www.sba.gov/community/blogs/...ss-law-advisor/doing-business-multiple-states

Here is another helpful link:

http://www.planetpayroll.com/multi-statetaxation.htm

Hope this helps.

3. RoseAb

RoseAb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you need to consult and Attorney, although an Accountant might know.
    But when I tried to get answer from reputable online Attorney "ask a question" website, the information I got was not accurate, so beware.
    I got free consult from State agency that has volunteer networks to help get business started.
    But really, this is a legal issue you need to be certain of.

4. tylerjackson81

tylerjackson81
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you should register in both because you won't have problems then.