Conflict of interest/beliefs.

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by MeanBossLady, Sep 24, 2012.

1. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Working in retail for so long, as a stocker, I always believed that if an associate is too difficult to work with, they end up hindering the process and should be terminated. I've heard countless times from different levels of management that they will keep an associate, regardless of their impact on other associates, as long as they get the job done.

Now I am running into a dilemma. I still stick to my beliefs. If someone is a pain in the ass, then let them go. The energy it takes to deal with that individual is not worth it. I started a gaming website and I need an artist to draw up the many aspects of the site. I have gone through almost 2 dozen artists, all various skill levels, have spent a couple hundred dollars on testing images and I still have yet to have a *final* image for the site. But finally, I have found someone who can "get the job done", but I feel they are a difficult person to work with.

With all the money and time I have spent looking for someone, should I continue my search or deal with this individual? I find them to be difficult because of their attitude. I am very particular about how things are done and I'm very 'anal' about having things done uniformly, and this has been questioned. I feel that I am paying an artist to do something, I shouldn't have to explain.

I need some help and advice!

Thanks!

2. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd deal with the person, getting the job done is more important. If you can't get the job done, in this case images for a website, then you have no website and no business.

In my opinion artists are never easy to deal with for the simple reason that art is subjective. What you think is total rubbish artwork is going to be viewed as the best thing since sliced bread by someone else. That's just how art works. You've gone through dozens of people, spent hundreds testing images, and who knows how many hours... deal with the person, get the job done. That's more important than going through another dozen people to find someone you like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

MeanBossLady do you need to hire designers full time or would it be possible for you to hire them on a contract basis as and when required? If you don't need them full time, you could use freelance sites to source the design work you need.

Considering that you have already gone through so many designers, it sounds to me as if it would be worth making a big effort to work with the designer you currently have, who has shown that they can deliver the work you require. The best managers and business people know that they can't do everything themselves and that they need to delegate some tasks. They also know that to be really successful they need to hire and work with people who are different to themselves. This compliments the manager's skills and brings diversity into the team which can result in much more creative solutions to business issues.

Good luck with it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to commission in very small chunks because I am only one person with very limited funds. The unfortunate thing is is that artwork needs to be consistent throughout so changing artists wouldn't be a great idea for each chunk of work I need. :-/

I'm going to stick with this artist for now and hopefully I don't end up smashing my face against my desk out of frustration.

5. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand what you are pointing - but haven't you had thought of giving some kind of consideration somehow?

Say - okay - you found this person to have the skills you are looking for. But because you just "feel" they you are going to have a tough time working with them, is it just because of your intuition that you will let this kind of person slip through?

Of course not. You have to make considerations and not just let them go. They are considered as your opportunities. Build a good camaraderie with the person and you will likely erase that felling of having a tough time working with them.

6. masterbizcoach

masterbizcoach
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, that's a terrible thing that can happen to a business. Maybe you should learn how to communicate with people on different style . You must be versatile in handling people.

7. MeanBossLady

MeanBossLady
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I try, I have been very bubbly in this situation and trying not to reciprocate the attitude given, but it's finding to be quite difficult. I don't think this will last long, even on natural terms. The good thing is is that there is no set date for this project so if it's necessary, I will continue to work on it without the artwork.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Does the employee give the impression that they are unhappy at work? If so, it might be worth asking them why that is.

9. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it is true that you are paying the bill, so the person should do it your way - but there are exceptions. If the person knows that what you want will harm you somehow, they need to speak up and disagree with you. To do otherwise would cause you trouble. But if they're generally just difficult for no good reason, perhaps you should find a way around this. It's your money and you should get what you want.

10. Will Passmore

Will Passmore
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Ask these questions to yourself. There's no need to answer them publicly here; just think about them.
    1. Is there any way to compromise with the person?
    2. If not, can you find a reasonable replacement? (sounds like it isn't)
    3. Perhaps it's you, not him that's the issue.

3 explained: You are anal about how things are done. It is your site and you want it beautiful and perfect. However, with any designer - if they are constantly limited by your wants and needs they cannot always create something beautiful. I personally think that you should let him do the design how he wants it. Let him make it not a design, logo, theme, etc, but ART. Your site will not look good with half of your implementations and half of his. You either need to get on the same page on him (whether he just does what you says but does not make the designs passionately, or you let him do his job), or find someone that can do exactly what you say.

It is a hard process, but something you need to figure out. I personally think you should relax on your standard thoughts about wanting it done exactly as you like. I think the outcome could be substantially improved.

• Like Like x 2