Computer languages for my Website?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Eminenz CW, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Eminenz CW

Eminenz CW
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm building a video website, for which I’m using Python, as server-side language. What do I use for making the User Interface and the "Video Player"? I'm not sure HTML will give me the look for the website.

2. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

FlowPlayer (http://flowplayer.org) is open source and comes in Flash and HTML5/js flavors. There's also JWPlayer (http://www.longtailvideo.com/jw-player) which is commercial, but licensing is not too expensive. You will want to use HTML/CSS/JS for the UI as Flash is falling out of favor with mobile browser vendors (well, Apple, at least, and that's enough to number its days). You should be able to achieve any sort of UI you envision with HTML/CSS/JS, but you should be sure to leverage whatever video player you choose's flash fallback as the HTML5 video standard is still something of a mess in terms of browser support. I suggest you either transcode all your users' video uploads to h.264 or h.264 and flv (the latter has better compression/faster loading, but you'll need the h.264 for the Apple mobile browsers).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I haven't seen many websites that use Python as their main coding language, one website that does is Reddit. What is your personal experience of using Python, how is it working out for you?

4. madelinekim

madelinekim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, of course HTML5 is the best version of HTML to develop an attractive video based application. Using HTML5 feature and tools you an build a powerful user-friendly video website. HTML5 is specially designed for developing interactive web application which is highly supported video, audio and canvas features.

5. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed, HTML5 provides full variety of features to build video website

6. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As for Client-side HTML is ok, why not? I don't think you'll need PHP or something else