Computer Hibernate Mode - Do you Use It?

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by Fergal, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When I'm not using my PC, I usually put it in sleep / stand by mode, as this significantly reduces power consumption. Recently I have been reading about hibernate mode, which actually turns off the computer but saves the information in memory, so that it is still available when you turn the computer back on.

A difference between hibernate and sleep mode is that it takes longer to turn the computer on again, when it has been in hibernate. Plus, a computer in hibernate mode uses less power than sleep mode.

Do you ever use hibernate? Do you find that it has any advantages or disadvantages?

• Like Like x 1
  2. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I use the hibernate mode a lot. It certainly saves time to open all the applications and web pages again. I didn't find any disadvantage with the hibernate mode but, yes the disadvantage with the sleep mode is sometimes the computer does not respond much efficiently after waking. It needs to be restarted in some cases. So I think hibernating is much more efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the time I use "Sleep". I use "Hibernate" from time to time but I usually use "sleep" as it is quicker to resume.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the replies, I will give hibernate a try, when my computer won't be in use for longer periods of time and see how it works out.