Complete Tax Returns

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, May 31, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My goal for June 2008 is to complete my outstanding tax returns. I actually have until about 9th July but I need them substantially complete by the end of June.

Doing tax returns is not something I enjoy. My first step will be to create a list of exactly what I need to do to accomplish this.

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have heard that there are already tax planning softwares in the market today. I just did a search on this and saw this open source tax software, www.sourceforge.net/taxcodesoftware. Hope this can help you in completing your outstanding tax returns.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Nazreen, thanks for the link, but I'm getting a 404 error on that page.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sorry about that Fergal, I think they renamed the software. Try http://sourceforge.net/projects/opentaxsolver/. This is for U.S., U.K., and Canada though. I searched in sourceforge and most of their tax open source softwares are for either of these countries.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Nazreen, I've had a look at the documentation and it looks like a very useful piece of software. As I'm based in Ireland and our tax system is different I will use Excel. I've set up Excel templates for a previous year's return and I will use them again.

Inputting the data and calculating the balances is not a big problem to be honest. I just need to spend the time pulling all the information together. I've a natural aversion to doing these returns, perhaps because they are an admin task that wont have any positive results for me and they are something that I am obliged to do, as opposed to want to do.

6. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Okay Fergal. Good luck! Anyway, don't forget the most important thing when filing for tax returns - your tax exemptions.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good point Nazreen, a lot of people pay a lot more tax than they need because they don't factor in expenses such as medical expenses and some allowable household services.

8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for sharing your June Goal Fergal. Tax return is something people don't like. But you have to do it. Anyways, it's important to do tax returns.

9. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anything to do with Tax makes me sick! I get a severe headache that whole day Lol I got a tax consultant helping me out here. Aren't there any such consultants in your country mate? There should be someone. Catch hold of them and get rid of it ASAP Lol

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Job done, it took longer than I expected and I was lucky to get an extension for submission.

I had such a mental block about doing this, but once I wrote a list and got stuck in it wasn't so bad at all.

Thanks to everyone who replied and made suggestions.

11. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's really good to think that you want to complete your outstanding tax returns.Generally,people don't like to pay taxes.You are doing very good.