Competitive Vs Non Competitive keyword

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by rudradhar, Jan 24, 2013.

1. rudradhar

rudradhar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Guys,

How would you describe Competitive and Non-Competitive keywords?

Please provide an example also.

If you had any free tools for checking competition value of keywords than please provide it.

Thanks in advance

2. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are lots of factors involved in determining if a certain keyword is competitive or not. Tools is not the good way to measure it. In my experience, I measure the number of results in SERPs. Though the real competition is on the first page of Google, other remaining pages can also be your competitors.

One of the good way to measure how competitive a certain keyword is, you have to look at the competing websites especially on the first page. Check their backlinks, website structure, social media engagement and reach out, and also their contents. This method can't be done by any tools out there. You have to look really close to those competing websites.

Sometimes, you can easily determine the competition by looking at the number of search results by searching the exact match phrase and non-exact match phrase ("keyword" and keyword) and compare them. The higher the result is, the heavy the competition is there. But this is not applicable in general. There are some keywords that has low search result but really heavy when it comes to the competition.

So the best way to do is to study the certain keyword manually. Don't rely on tools out there cause sometimes they give you a different picture of what really the competition is for a keyword.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

One tool that you might find helpful is the Google Adwords keyword tool. Another indication of how competitive a certain keyword is, is to look at how many sponsored ads are showing in the search results pages for that search. More ads, are generally an indication of increased competitiveness.

• Like Like x 1
  4. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can check by using the Google adword keyword tool. You can see the keyword whether it is competitive or not. The competitive may be high, medium or low. If you site is new to search engine, it is better to target the low competition keyword and later on go for high competitive keyword.

5. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When analyzing keyword competition, I tend to only look at the top ten results in Google or whatever search engine I am competing for rankings in.

Here are the basic things I check first:
    1) Is the keyword in the page title
    2) How much PageRank on average do the top ten listings have as measured by Google Toolbar and SEO Quake.
    3) How much Domain Authority do the websites have as measured by SEOmoz toolbar.
    4) How much Page Authority do the top few listings have as measured by SEOmoz toolbar.

I make an assessment as to how much work it would take to achieve a number one ranking for that keyword.
    I make an assessment as to how much value that keyword has in terms of traffic, conversion percentage and ultimately money.
    Based on that, I know whether or not it would be worth my time to target this keyword.

And then if it seems worthwhile, I would do more analysis on the top 3 ranked pages and websites to look at backlinks and on-page factors more closely.

Giving you specific examples would take more time and effort on my part than I am willing to donate to this thread (to be perfectly honest with you). To give you really good examples I would need to do an hour or more of research.

6. angrystone

angrystone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Competitive keywords are those where the top 10 results have thousands ( or millions of backlinks ) and the domain names are 7 or more years old. An incredibly good tool to look at keyword competition is http://www.marketsamurai.com