Competition monitor - idea for an online service

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Rubs, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone will be interested in a competitor monitoring service?

Something that will automatically collect the rankings on sites like Alexa, etc. and then send you a daily/weekly report on where you rank amongst competition as well as send you alerts if somebody from competition experiences a spike in traffic.

Will this kind of service be in demand? Will you personally use it? If yes, how much do you think such service might be worth?

Thoughts?

Also, if you know websites that already do that, I'd appreciate some links. Thanks!

2. Dean

Dean
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for reply, Dean. My idea is closer to the first two sites, but they provide only static service for a limited number of competitors. I couldn't find anything that would do an ongoing monitoring. There are large services (like compete.com), but they are very complex and cost a lot of money. So I'm trying to find out whether there's a niche for a simpler and cheaper competition monitoring tools.

Any other opinions? I really need some feedback on this idea.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I compare BAF to about five other forums every month. I look at their Google PR, the number of posts they have received, the number of members they have gained and the number of backlinks they have in Google and compare all this to how BAF is doing. I keep all the results in a spreadsheet and it gives me a quick overview as to how we are doing in comparison to similar sites.

Obviously that is only a small proportion of what I could record but I do feel that it gives a strong indication of our comparative activity. It takes less than half an hour a month for me to gather, record and analyse this information. Hence, to be honest I'd be reluctant to pay for a competitor tracking service unless it could clearly show that it would give me much more useful info than I am already gathering.

5. Peter Birganza

Peter Birganza
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Nice posts. I learned much from here by getting ideas from different minds. According to my limited research the best way to monitor your competition is your sales and revenue. If you monthly or yearly observe than these terms may show you the competition in market. Either you have goods or services providing company.