Competition idea for a new forum

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by FB92, Apr 6, 2013.

1. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What are some good competition idea's for a new forum? I'm thinking of doing a posting contest for a forum I'm working on just to get it a bit popular.

I have the idea of $30 USD but I could do a bit more than that within reason.

But anyway what is a good idea for a competition or prize for a new forum?

I haven't ran a forum for well... I can't even remember. And the last forum I owned I sold and now the owner has made it look like a dump. -.-

But anyway not going to rant... I just want to have a forum that I enjoy owning instead of feeling like it's a chore to run which is what my previous forum ended up in the end.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If you want to have a forum you enjoy owning it should be about something you enjoy doing, or a subject you have an interest in. As far as a posting contest is concerned, you might want to have more than one prize, to encourage more visitors to enter - perhaps $30, $20, and $10, with a few of the lower value prizes rather than just one. One thing you do want to control is the quality of the posts that qualify for the contest. Here at BAF, a member must make one "helpful" post on the forum, on the day of their bid, before bidding in the BAF Cash Auctions. You could do something similar, to cut down on spam posts made just to enter the contest. That way, the new forum won't turn into a dump like the last one did.

• Like Like x 2
    #2 Joseph.Shivell, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My idea would the one that I'd also do to my forum. The most thanked member gets $15 in a month. Thanking member must atleast have stayed in the forum for a week and have posted 10.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

FB92: If you are thinking to start a new forum. Try holding small contest with prizes like $ 5. Also prize top posters and active posters in your forum. Try running the Bid too. Hold some graphics contest too for your forum. Also, you can prize some members If they promote your forum in their or others sites. You can do the raffle thing here because prizing everyone would not be possible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try to make competitions such that everyone can participate in.You can ask simple questions on your forum and the prize should not be very high.And after you get ample entries you can pick a winner by random number generator.To participate in a competition a member must be having at least 10-15 posts.I think this will help you :) All the best :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

try something which can get you more participation within your targeted niche..fun way of winning prize...must not be something to fight for ..but something to awe for naturally....

Post a thread...some new quotes related to your forum ..devised by members...opinion poll..etc...something that is fun to participate in....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Posting contests can cause problems on forums. As has already been mentioned, they sometimes result in very poor quality posts being made to boost members' post count. I think you will help your forum a lot more if you consider contests for the most thanked member, as suggested by ownedbox, or another contest idea based on quality, such as;

Member of the month / week
    Most helpful post
    Thread of the week.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the idea of Fergal. This is something that can make your forum grow and become active.

9. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have altered post counts in the past for spam quality on previous forums I've run which I've done a posting competition on. So I would do that if required.

Although I could do a most liked competition or something along the lines. It's not a heavily done competition so it may get some interest.

Otherwise I will use a forum points system and do it that way. The person with the most points wins. But again, if cheating detected they lose some points.

Thanks everyone :D

10. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

FB92: Also, you can offer your Free Hosting services in your own forum too as you offered here. :)

11. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

ye thats good idea and also you have offered free website on this forum also, that's even better you might be better of with those and spend the $30 plus on advertising instead.

12. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

try some referral competition in which the member with highest referral will win.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another great Idea, Anusha. But make sure those referred members aren't bots and they do post. :p

14. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One interesting idea could be that ask your members to write the name of your forum on a sheet and take a snapshot at some uncommon or some places in their cities and choose the winner on random or the pic with highest likes.I think this will be a interesting competition :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the idea too. That will be like cool. :)

16. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks devilbatista that was somewhat inspired by fiverr gigs. :)

17. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do a points system points thing. So then its like all of the contest in one.. Make it a referral contest (each new referral needs to have 5 post or more) then that is like 10 points.. The every post is like 3 points then like here the better the quality the more points u can get.. Just do stuff like that.

18. sobi123

sobi123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well Really Great ideas submited already , i would like to say one thing , MONEY , the word money is really attractive for veryone who are using internet for making money , so would like to say,

1: Posting Contests,
    2: Forum Points to Real Cash
    3: auctions for Money,
    4: Lottory
    5: reffers members for Cash,
    6: random cash threads,
    7: most points in one week/month
    8: points to domain name

Thanks,