Company Image - We don't just develop!

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Stuart.Scott.NS, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Stuart.Scott.NS

Stuart.Scott.NS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I currently own a small "software solutions" (but do more) company in Chile and need some advice on the IMAGE of our company.

The issue is we get clients, but not the right kind, let me explain. We have many products like CRM, Project manager, CMS Web Development using Joomla and we are very good at what we do and allways have high standards in quality, frequently we get called to do seminars and speeches about how to boost business and cut costs using these tools, but every time we get clients approaching they say they have the all the documentation ready for the project and are ready to have the CRM or Product DEVELOPED with us. The issue they don't have a clue about planning, implementation, social structure in the company, early adoption planning etc, so in the end we end up doing tons of extra work for them and they do not want to pay for the extra work (and we can not afford to loose the client), so in the end we do all the planning, implementation, social structure in the company, early adoption planning etc and then all the DEVELOPMENT. I believe the issue is our IMAGE, we come across as a development company not a consulting company (or or planning etc).

I see other companies in Chile that get paid tons of cash for consulting and then do a bad job at development and still get more clients, I know this because we always get called in to fix it (and we get paid little to fix it), the other issue there are many companies that say they do development and do it even cheaper that us (but again bad quality).

How can I get better clients that are willing to pay for all the planning, implementation, social structure in the company, early adoption planning etc and development and how can my company not come across as just as a development house.

Cheers, hope it was not to confusing.

2. sterlingsherrell

sterlingsherrell
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am not quite sure what you mean. Are most of your clients coming from the speeches and presentations you give? If so then you really control the message, so I don't see how your image can get confused. Just practically I would think about having different tiered packages. That way you can have a tier for consulting where clients get x, Y, or Z. And then a tier with consulting plus development which consists of XA, YB, and ZC. Basically lay out what the deal is before you begin a project. Then I would sub-contract the development out as much as you want or can to someone who specializes in it. Since you have the agreement upfront you can project what you will need done with a partner.
    Most of all it seems you are in control of your image. If these other consultants are raking in clients, then stay in that market. Development can be a JV deal. Hope that helps. If not shoot me a note. sterlingvmc at gmail

3. Stuart.Scott.NS

Stuart.Scott.NS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks sterlingsherrell, not all of our clients come from the seminars and speeches, but we do control our image like you said and that why I believe I need to change it slightly. The development side is not hard for us and also the planning etc, the issue is people come to us for the dev and don't see us as solution for planning or consulting and that the message I want to get across to the new potential clients is that we do consulting and that the CRM or Solution is secondary to planning.

For example a company has an issue with to many emails flying around, to many notes on clients on each computer etc and out of date documents etc, but do not know of a CRM, I would like that type of client to come to us and speak to us about a the problem and then us give the solution, but at the same time not just pay us for the CRM but also the training, implementing etc as that is where most of the time is spent and we are very knowledgeable, I mean the dev time is about 15% of the whole thing.

4. WilliamWasse

WilliamWasse
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like to tell people that all of our products and business will go through three phases. There's vision, patience, and execution.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Stuart.Scott.NS first of all welcome to Business Advice Forum and thanks for asking your business questions. What I'd suggest you do is make it very clear in your sales information and in any documentation that you give to your clients, that the price you have agreed with them includes x amount of hours of support for product installation and training and that any additional support provided by your company will be charged at a rate of x Dollars per hour. Do you feel that could work for you?

6. searchsouth

searchsouth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wonder if it's about the way that you are selling and marketing your company? Are you putting more emphasis on the development side of things? Do you need to work harder at making the most of selling your consultancy services?