Commercial vs. Free Wordpress Plugins?

Discussion in 'Wordpress' started by OhioTom76, Jul 29, 2015.

1. OhioTom76

uix_expand uix_collapse

Jul 13, 2015
    Ever since the launch of sites such as CodeCanyon, which feature a large collection of commercial plugins, I've started to shy away from relying too much on free plugins in favor of these since they seem to be more actively developed, and I can reach out to the developer for help if something isn't working properly - which the developers of free plugins aren't always willing to assist you with. This is especially true if I am building a site for a client, and don't want to run into headaches down the road if a free plugin developer abandons their plugin which might be critical to a client's web site, then they are angry with me when things start to break.

However recently, I ran into an issue where two of these commercial plugins I bought, one for bulk exporting and one for bulk importing, are not working properly with Wordpress, and I've been waiting nearly two weeks to get any sort of support on them, despite having paid for them. In the meantime, I've had to resort to using some of the free plugins out there to get done what I needed done. Thankfully I found a couple for free that worked perfectly.

This has kind of caused me to reconsider the free plugins again, and at least check with them first before jumping the gun and paying for some other plugin to do the same thing.