Comments On A Blog --- Legit or Spam

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by amwarner, Jul 31, 2013.

1. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, So i posted up a thread that alot of you provided great answers to and I will implement some of those on there.

http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php/51941-Does-A-Blog-Really-Help-Ranking-In-Google

But I've been noticing something on my blog and I'm not sure what to do about it. The thing I'm noticing are the comments. And I understand that having comments on your blog is good, in some cases but not all the time.

I'm being left pretty alright comments on my blogs but I'm not sure if they're spam or to approve them or not.

This is because they come from email addresses such as :

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Who know's if they're legit or spam. Anyway, my question is, is it right for me to moderate and approve/reject certain comments that are being left on my blog posts? I have quite a few comments waiting to be approved but I'm just not sure if they're legit comments or not.

Like for instance, right this minute, I just received a comment saying this:

"Like: Style and material is very nice and good quality.Dislike: The lenses are dark even under low light conditions as oppose to the original VINTAGE SUNGLASSES 80s BL BAUSCH LOMB, which were very light in normal light and transition to a nice darker colour on sunlight conditions.I have used the old one for more than 10 year for somebody who is used to the previous one it"

My blog is about starting a home business and making money, not sunglasses.

I never allowed comments on my site before, for this particular reason, but since I just recently created the blog, I figured what the heck, it's a good way to interact.

Any advice.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

If part of the reason you created the blog is to help your SEO, then moderating the blog should definitely be done. Also, if you want to use the blog to create traffic to your website, you want blog entries and comments that are informative and interesting to your readers, so again, moderating needs to be done. However, I would not decide whether or not to delete a comment due to their email address - some people from foreign countries may have names that look weird, but they are actual names. In other cases, because of privacy concerns, may not want to use a recognizable name.
    As far as the "sunglasses" comment on a blog about home business, yeah, that's definitely spam, and should be removed.

• Like Like x 2
  3. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand what you're saying. I guess I'm use to seeing @gmail.com ... or @hotmail.com ... or @yahoo.com ... but I saw a couple that were like @tzeyxw.com. So I don't know. I haven't deleted them just haven't approved them yet. And yes, I also agree that having informative and interesting comments probably will help me out as well.

Anyway, thanks for the advice joeroxx

4. carloborja

carloborja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A good rule of thumb to follow is to accept the comment when it offers useful information, advice or point of discussion.

I wouldn't really look at the email address first. I will just investigate further the thought of the comment and maybe respond to it.

5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should accept comments which are informative and relevant to the post. As far the weird email ids are concerned it may or may not be spam and you can tell from the comment itself.

However, you can install captcha or something similar to prevent comment spam and you should see less of those comments and saves your time as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Multima$tery

Multima$tery
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it looks like garbage and smells like garbage then delete it! Don't be so desperate for comments that you just allow unrelated posts or flat-out spam to litter your blog. That's like letting someone in your home and allowing them to fling all type of garbage around and behave like fools. Your blog is your online home - and when people step into it they need to recognize that they must respect it. Relevant comments that add to your posts are what you should be open to. And this doesn't mean that everyone always has to agree with your view points - as long as they're contributing to the conversion and not being rude then it's cool.

7. AmbitiousStudent

AmbitiousStudent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think google can now recognise the difference between a spammy comment and a contributive comment. a spammy comment can be anythign from using a software to repeat the same sentence on relevant blogs to a person who says "I found this really helpful thank you". I think now, like high quality content, you've gotta add more to your comment. If google senses a load of gibberish and repetitive words in your comments section this will hurt your seo efforts.

8. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A blog is targeted, because spammer found the space to build link. Switch default comment system to FB or Disqus is one of the effective way to reduce spam; FB or Disqus and require account validation, so it can great delay spammer activity or makes them give up the particular site.