College Website Links

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by scifi, Nov 11, 2008.

1. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Guys!!

I have a very good Idea which many of the people here in my College were using on experimenting basis that is to increase the Traffic on their website, a relevant & useful link of your website according to College's website is placed on it.

Since every student is in a habbit of visiting college website daily atleast once & notice a new link, click on it to explore more.
    This way traffic is increased on your website since you get atleast 60% of the students to click & explore your link.

Here this habbit had been studied in detail & implemented accordingly as just I have described.

But the link should be in accordance with college discipline & matter relevance norms.

What do you think about the implementation of this idea on colleges website be a new place to advertise???

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Scifi, how do you get the link on the college website, surely the college site webmaster would not be too keen on placing links on the college homepage?

On what basis do you say that?

Why would students visit their college website everyday, is it updated daily?

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They place the link as I have said earlier keeping in mind discipline & material relevance norms of the college.
    Moreover the link can also be place in the web pages of local clubs of the colleges.
    Many Students visit their college website everyday just because it has a student web-kiosk system of the student database link with it including their examination results & all other stuff is online.
    Also many important documents are also provided through it only.
    Again I will say that the this kind of activity is running on experimenting basis.
    So many students are in a habbit of reviewing it atleast once.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

scifi, just to check I'm understanding this correctly. So the students can place links within the site as long as they follow the college guidelines and the link has relevance to the page it's on? For example if your site was about chess, you could place a link on the chess club page?

Seems very generous of the college and a nice way to get a link. I'm still not clear on exactly how they place the links, do they need to fill in a form or something? I'd guess the college staff have to approve the links prior to publication to prevent any abuse of that.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah It's for sure one has to take approval for the links prior to the publication.
    It's just to promote some good activities & healthy competence environment in the college.

6. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

that sounds like a great place to study and I would be a good boy for sure with such offers

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Scifi, can you please post a link to your college site, so we can get a clearer understanding of how it works?

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

http://www.juit.ac.in/lefiestus/home.php
    Here is the link , hope you can find it interesting....
    I forget to mention one important thing that the link being provided on the website can not be used for personal gains. This is just for the promotion of internet technology & creating awareness that students are encouraged with this type of activity to build websites in relevance with college discipline & matter relevance norms.
    Soon we have another link being updated here on the site as CIVIL ENGINEERING CONSORTIUM...It is club of all the students of civil engineering of all the four years to spread awareness about civil engineering.

9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys tell me what do you think about the implementation of this idea on colleges website be a new place to advertise???
    Can it be ever be commercialized ????
    Although at present stage we don't have permission of doing so but hope so in near future!!!!
    Do you think will it be successful anyway????? Because recently I came to know about a fact about this Traffic & advertisement business that they should generate clicks through different IP's. But our college has a single IP but all the students have different IP addresses through this SINGLE IP OF THE COLLEGE.
    Plz give your suggestion on the same.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Are there external links on that site, in addition to the sponsor links?

If there are please show us one as an example?

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is the difference between Sponsor Links & External Links...
    Srry Fergal But I am little bit unaware of these terms of Internet technology.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually schools and offices share the same IP because they connect to the same proxy server. If that's the case then it wouldn't work with that Traffic and Advertisement business that you mentioned above.

In answer to your question on advertising on a college or university website, I guess the answer depends on what kind of business you're running. If it's catered for young people and students, then advertising in a college website would be a very good idea. If for example your business caters to adults or very young kids, then I think that it's not a good idea.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot Nazreen !!!
    Now I have got a clear understanding Why college authorities have restricted such type of experimental activities for personal gains!!!!
    As you have said since college or office have same IP's , advertisement business of no use, I would like to state that most of the student in my college are hostelers that is they live inside the college campus!!!!

#13 scifi, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sponsor links are links that advertisers have paid for. External links are any links to other websites, they may or may not have been paid for. For example this link to Google is an external link, but it is not a sponsor link, because Google are not paying me for it.

Can you please point us to one example of a link they got from this "experimenting"?

15. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi!Fergal
    There is some misunderstanding on my part as pointed by Nazreen in her post that since all offices & colleges have single IP , they can not be used for traffic & advertisement business.
    I am sorry for that.
    The links as I have provided of as such LeFiestus contains many links- one such link of CEC given by me but it is just for promoting Civil engineering among students & masses.
    Now I understood that college website can not be used for the traffic & advertisement business as the students all live in a college itself.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

No problem Scifi, thanks for the clarification.