College Degree to nowhere

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by RestOwner, Feb 2, 2011.

1. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have noticed that people who get a College Degree sometimes doesn't end up with a job that is associated with their degree. I have a Bachelors Degree in Electronics Engineering but as you can see I ended up working in a restaurant.

Although I am earning just right where I can pay all expenses and enough to save but don't you think that I should exert much effort in finding associated job for my Degree? Did you end up with the same experience as I do??

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Not necessarily, it really depends on what makes you happy and what you would prefer to be doing. If you enjoy working in a restaurant, that's great, keep doing it and enjoying it. If you'd prefer to be doing something else, e.g. working in Electronics, put a plan in place to achieve the type of position you want. However, you shouldn't feel any obligation to work in a certain field, just because you have a college degree in the subject area.

Is getting a job in electronics, something you want to do?

I did my degree in marketing and have spent most of my working life so far in positions related to business, sales and marketing. Sometimes I feel I should have done something more technical, such as computer science or electronics.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you tried applying on an electronics company? Even once?

But that will mean that BAF will not be here if that happened. :(

4. RestOwner

RestOwner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have tried applying for jobs that is associated with my course but all requires a minimum working experience.. how can somebody get a job with this kind of requirement ..

5. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why do you think you should be exerting more of an effort to finding a job associated with a degree? One of the reasons why we go to college is in order to get a better job, now if you happen to get a good job that is satisfying and pays well, then that should not stop you from going after this job. If you feel there is more potential for you in electronics engineering, and you want to get the best possible job for yourself then it would make sense for you to switch jobs. But if its just a matter in your conscience that's making you feel guilty, you shouldn't worry about it.

6. mtveter

mtveter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey this is a great topic for me. I am on my last semester majoring in construction management. There are two types of advice I have for you. I have three brothers who have all gone to college but only one has ended up getting the career he wanted. The problem with the other two brothers is that they did not apply to as many companies and they needed to network with more people.
    My brother Aaron has found two ways to get a job. Don't settle for any job that is not involved with management. If they hire you to be a grunt, you will be a grunt. For my construction major, I am seeking a management position but I don't know what you may be seeking.
    If you cannot find any potential positions that fit the preference of your major, then ask the company if they can recommend you to another company.
    It sounds too simple, but it is a sorting game. Don't settle for the grunt work but only settle for what you are educated for.
    I know I gave you two pointers but here is another. If you know about electronics and feel confident in what you do. Start your own business. Freelance your talent. One year I was not able to find a job, so I started my own construction business and the business took off like wild fire.
    I am leaning into internet marketing now because I am newly married and I am trying to spend more time with my wife. I am still trying to stay in my current construction career part time cause I still love working with wood.
    Stick to your goals bud. Don't let failure let you down, but keep looking and networking with as many people as possible. Even though the economy is in the pits, there are still tons of jobs out there if you can show the company that you are a go getter and that your willing to learn.

Much Success to your Future

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, this is a common trend that might be witnessed in industry these days atleast here..IT industry is booming here and is taking graduates from all fields of engineering like BioTechnology, chemical, civil, electrical..People also goes in these jobs without any hesitation....

Many Times it happend as indicated by you..Even I have done Civil Engineering and is in field of Weighing Solutions along with some IT applications...

On based of my experience, I think you should try to find some solution where both your field of work and study converges to create another unique field of its own...!!!!!

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This is an old catch 22 situation, it is difficult to get a job without experience and difficult to get experience without a job. You can try to deal with this by getting experience related to your industry through your hobbies, interests and spare time. For example you could start a blog or other website related to electronics, this would help to establish you as someone who has experience or knowledge of the industry. Maybe you know of some charity who could benefit from your experience and knowledge and you could donate some of your time to them. Or perhaps you could do some freelance work, as has already been suggested.

Could any of these approaches work for you?

9. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many people these days will end up changing their careers 2 to 4 times anyway so it's becoming less relevant with the actual courses you take in college. What we should remember is that college teaches us how to think and research. These are skills you can take with you to any career you do in the future.

10. Hulbert Lee

Hulbert Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't say the same thing with me because I'm still going to graduate school, but I think these stories are common. It's not your fault though. The economy is bad right now and I think many people would love to be in your position right now, which is to have a job.

11. sajjad7006

sajjad7006
    uix_expand uix_collapse

you must study more and try for the job in your relevant filed, try try again at last you are successful