Cold Weather Damaging to Your Business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Fergal, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Many countries have been experiencing unusually long and prolonged cold weather in recent weeks. This has had a negative effect on many businesses;

• Retailers are suffering because dangerous roads and footpaths have been keeping shoppers away from the January sales
    • Tourism businesses have suffered because transport has been stalled in many areas
    • Sports businesses have suffered because sporting events have been cancelled
    • Agriculture and food businesses have suffered because the freezing conditions have killed crops.
    Other businesses have benefited from the cold weather, for example sellers of thermal gear and other warm clothing, sellers of fun snow and ice products and oil and hearing businesses have experienced increased demand.

Has the cold weather affected your business?

2. timothy1238

timothy1238
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes,cold weather is damaging our business because i have a ice cream factory which is totally dull in cold weather.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal. Cold climate often degrades Business. Customers wont usually come out for shopping it the climate is cold. They like staying at home than walking at cold. I also prefer summer than winter.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Have you been doing anything to counteract that timothy1238? I still enjoy ice cream when I go to the cinema and after dinner for dessert, but otherwise I eat a lot less ice cream when the weather is cold.

5. maadi

maadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you but not on all point which you give in your thread, Related to agriculture Business weather is important to agriculture, where and how your food is grown and the natural products grown that are used to make the clothes you buy. Do you always hope that the weather will be sunny and warm? If you were a farmer, you might want the weather to be different. Sometimes, they too like the weather to be sunny and warm. However, sometimes, they hope for a rainy day. The basic thing is your task to learn how weather effect your business and how it gives you benefit. I bookmark a site
    agriculturedir.com and suggest you to take more access from it.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum maadi. It is indeed very important to farmers that there is a certain amount of rainfall for their crops. Unfortunately we had about three / four weeks of sub-zero temperatures here in Ireland recently. The effect of this freezing weather was to kill a lot of crops, planted by farmers. Unfortunately many of them are suffering a huge financial loss because of this.

7. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe cold weather is extremely hated by most people including it. As it hampers your business and life. Business may close down if too much cold is observed.

However, I believe in cold weather sale of warm clothes takes more in number.

8. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well as you know some of you, I sell items on ebay and the cold weather/snow is surprising not effecting my business atall. I have battled through the thick snow near where I live, just to post items at the post office (dedicated seller you see) as I like to keep my customers happy :D

9. gr8ecom

gr8ecom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That shoud not happen in all the case in all the country and across the sector. In the area where there is winter there is likely to be the serious trouble of swine flu which may result to the pharma and medical industry. This is a one instance only!

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is swine flu different to other bugs in that regard? My understanding was that real cold weather kills off a lot of bugs and hence you are less likely to get a cold or flu. Perhaps I'm misinformed?

11. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This proves to be a problem in Australia for beachside businesses who rely on the Australian heat, the sun, the people for their business. Its hard for them opening up on what appears to be the coldest day of the year, knowing that they will lose money every second of that day. However, when summer comes, they are prosperous and do gain the much needed revenue to balance the cold days.

However, for snow businesses that need the cold, the snow, they will benefit a lot. Not all tourism means the hot weather. Ski businesses are a seasonal thing, but when snow season comes early, they know a profit will head their way.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do many of them close for the winter season?

I feel a bit sorry for the European ski locations this year. They are having their best season for snow in years, which ordinarily would be great for their business. However, the ski travel industry has been hit hugely by the recession, for many people a skiing holiday is an expensive second holiday that they just can't afford this year.

13. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whoops, I was meant to say "Its hard for them opening up on what appears to be the warmest day of the year, knowing that they will lose money every second of that day."

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why would they lose money?

15. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, I should reply more often when I am actually awake :p

Recap: beach side businesses will lose money on the coldest days of the year. In Australia, you barely get a single soul walking on the beach and so they will get no customers, at all. Nevertheless, they will open up in hope for any revenue and so the cost of things like rent, water etc. will drag them down. However, they can balance things up on hot days where there are people at the beach.

Thats right now.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Got it now, thanks David :)

17. maadi

maadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@Fergal:
    Thank you for the reply. I said i am agreed with you but There is some advice which government give to the people who are related to the agriculture sector in Ireland. Storage can also give you a benefit in the cold season.

18. chinaoilpainting

chinaoilpainting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. But If you sell something useful in such weather, the answer will be different.

19. maadi

maadi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

@ chinaoilpainting.
    Technology revolution can do any thing, No matter how weather is. Government support is very important to sell product.