Coffee Shop Ideas

Discussion in 'Business Ideas' started by Entrepreneur, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Entrepreneur

Entrepreneur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am a young individual who recently graduated business school. I have some money and I want to finally take the jump into starting my own business. I'm a really big fan and customer of Starbucks, both the service/product and the overall quality of the management of the company. I want to go into a similar field like Starbucks, but I have a vision to offer a different atmosphere with a variety of more services that stack up against Starbucks.

Although I have some ideas on how I can increase revenue through other areas besides just coffee, I am curious to hear all of your ideas???? What other services could Starbucks provide to enhance your overall experience?

Also, do you think it is becoming a necessity to have a drive through for a coffee shop? It seems much more convenient for the customer and the ROI if much higher. I see more and more coffee shops moving this way.

Thanks

2. klib0002

klib0002
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am from Florida, and I think most Starbucks around here have drive throughs. Where do you live?

#2 klib0002, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  3. Entrepreneur

Entrepreneur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I live on Long Island, NY and many of them here did not have a drive thru, however, the newer ones seem to have a drive thru. Obviously if a coffee shop is located in the middle of a main street, then it is impractical to have a drive thru. However, some of those are closing and they are now opening more stand alone buildings, which are located closer to freeway entrances with drive thrus (a smart move in my opinion). However, this has affected their typical coffee shop scenery and atmosphere in my opinion as well.

4. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure about Starbucks because here in Canada the big thing is Tim Hortons and they provide great service and food. Starbucks and Tim Hortons offer basically almost everything a coffee shop can offer so I'm not extremely sure what you could do to make your business a better experience.

Although I may not have been much help to you, I wish you good luck with your business ;)

5. Entrepreneur

Entrepreneur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the response. I think Starbucks has a good system, but there is always room for improvement and progress. I'm considering if a liquor license would yeild better profits, or if it could have a reverse affect. Serving drinks like irish coffee, one can place a high mark up, but the demand still needs to be there. To be honest, I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to do a coffee shop. However, I envisioned a modern coffee shop/lunchonette type place in a certain area. I don't want the "classic" vibe that a lot of places seem to be recreating. I still ha e a lot of research and surveying to do.

6. klib0002

klib0002
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yea, I can't really help you in this realm. I think coffee shops are a saturated market, but if you can find a way to stand out, you will make it. Thats just the way the free economy works, and thats why its so amazing. I wish you the best of luck

#6 klib0002, Mar 4, 2012
  7. Entrepreneur

Entrepreneur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. I would not be willing to open up a coffee shop unless I can significantly seperate myself from the competition. I'm constantly looking for new ideas to do that. I'm hoping to avoid placement in an area where coffee shops are over saturated. If I can't find that, then the idea is dead anyway.

8. Alan2011

Alan2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello i have no idea about coffee shop but i always like to Starbucks , i think you could learn the business way of Starbucks to run your own coffee shop

9. drewkramer

drewkramer
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You must have your own unique selling proposition, such as economy price not sacrificing the quality of the product you've offered. Simply think of a thing that would separate you from other entities providing same product. Uniqueness and thorough understanding is the key to success in any kind of business.

#9 drewkramer, Mar 5, 2012
  10. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not sure about your country, one of my friend is actually own one Starbucks. The start up cost is quite high since you need to pay for Starbucks and the decoration. The advantage is people will easily come into your coffee shop because they know the brand of the coffee shop and they trust on the food/coffee. The disadvantage is you need huge budget to get start on this kind of business.

If you are talking to start up a similar shop like starbucks or coffeebean, you really need to do the research.

11. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm.. Well, are there coffee shops that already has their own music band for customers to watch live or request easy-listening songs they want to hear while taking a cup of coffee at your store? I have not seen any coffee shop with that yet. That could probably some good idea if you can - to drive customers to your store.

If not, having a free wi-fi inside your store is more like common already. Hmm. What about massage services? It feels good to have a massage or while taking some coffee right?

12. Entrepreneur

Entrepreneur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I know, Starbucks doesn't franchise in the United States. The massage and coffee idea is interesting as I planned on going around to local businesses such as massage, hair salons etc. and see if I could setup a small coffee station in there place, in an attempt to get the name of the business out to locals.
    The real concept behind the "coffee shop" though was really to create a coffee and wine bar, which would take more time considering the liquor license needed.

13. DrewryMedia

DrewryMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

for starters, Drewry recommends purchasing or renting a dedicated server on line, then, installing an online community or blog on your server. this way, you can use your site in getting the word out and creating awareness on the World Wide Web about your soon to come coffee shop business. Once your site is up and running, and Google AdSense to your site, and related affiliate programs, so you can make money, while coming up in brainstorming with additional ideas for your physical drive-through coffee shop. When it comes to coffee, oil and gas, and the Internet, opportunities are endless. Hope this is a helpful hint to you :)

14. XYZEEE

XYZEEE
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Over here in Orange County, California, coffee shops are everywhere... Yet they still make a good amount of profit.

15. Entrepreneur

Entrepreneur
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With the coffee shop I'm still looking for a great location. We don't have too many other coffee shops here other than Starbucks; but we have plenty of Starbucks. I'm still trying to figure out how to seperate myself from them. Yogurt shops are becoming bigger and bigger here, so I'm looking to maybe setup a Yogurt Cafe type of place if I can find the right place.

16. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most of the coffee shop in our area has internet connection for free. some even offer iPad stand where users can use freely. some offer membership card where people that avail their products can earn points. these points can also be use to buy services and get discounts.

17. Michael Leng

Michael Leng
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you should start with a small coffee shop first. Beside coffee adding some items of products to your shop. Leaving survey sheet on the tables in order to collect information from your customers then try to supply what they need.

Do somethings new and difference. Hope you succeed in your career. If you have a completion of "6M" ; man, money, material, methods, machines and management. Your goal can be reached sooner or later.

18. yundagx

yundagx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am from Florida