Coffee: getting more stuff done now, but not in the long run?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by sheepishwolf, Mar 9, 2013.

1. sheepishwolf

sheepishwolf
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A post in the protein shake thread made me think about how good coffee is as a boost of energy.

Coffee is great for waking you up.. at the time. However, if your body gets used to using coffee to wake up and as an energy boost, then it will always feel sluggish and tired without it. That's why you see so many people with a "coffee addiction". If you even just look at a long Star Bucks line in the morning, you'll see some of the people in the line getting very agitated and fidgeting around. Although, most Coffee supplies like Star Bucks and Dunken' Donuts do have double the amount of caffeine than what's in an average cup of coffee, and that also contributes to why people are addicted to it.

Having an addiction to coffee isn't good if you're trying to quit, or you're doing work and can't get to your coffee. It can slow down your work and decrease your productivity substantially.

Does anyone have any experience with drinking coffee regularly, then quitting it? Or any opinions against or for whether coffee is good for the long run of staying energized?

• Like Like x 1
  2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do like Coffee But I am not addictive to it. I drink Coffee sometimes but not regularly. Most of people find it addictive because it contains Caffeine which is a kind of stimulant drug. But Coffee sometimes can be useful to warm up yourself from cold or if you have to wake up for late. Coffee can be useful if you use it in a correct way rather than being addictive to it.

3. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't drink coffee. I'd be interested to know what you guys think about it; are there actually a lot of benefits to drinking it (that possibly outweigh the negatives)?

4. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't see any negatives of drinking coffee from time to time. I drink it rarely, when I have something important to do and I'm very sleepy. It works for me perfectly. Remember that if you drink coffee too often you become immune to caffeine and drink too much to maintain effects, which can be unhealthy.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Great discussion sheepishwolf. As I said in another thread, I have mixed feelings when it comes to coffee. I drink a max of one cup per day, however I also drink about two cups of tea per day. At times coffee does give me an energy boost and help me get stuck into my work. Saying that I do have concerns that it does more harm than good in the longer term.