CloudFlare

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Tucker933, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Tucker933

Tucker933
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm curious as to how many of you make use of their free or even paid service.
    Personally I run their Pro (paid) service and have found them fantastic for both boosting global performance and security.
    http://www.cloudflare.com/features-cdn
    I highly recommend it.

2. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't got the chance or find really use for Cloudflare for myself but have listened a lot of it and its servers around the world.
    I would love to know the real uses of cloudflare and experience for its users.

3. merlynwall

merlynwall
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My hosting company actually recommended the use of Cloudflare. I think the service works best for huge sites receiving huge traffic. Smaller sites can take advantage of its ddos protection.

4. Tucker933

Tucker933
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a great service if only for the security, though they have a lot of other great features for sites of any size.

You can read a detailed review I did on their service, here.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've used the free Cloudflare service for one site but found that it slowed the site down. Has anyone else had a similar experience with them?

Do you know if upgrading to a paid plan would help avoid that slowness issue?

6. Tucker933

Tucker933
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do make use of their free service on my personal domain, though I haven't experienced a similar issue.
    However with a paid service vs the free service, they do give your traffic a higher priority so you experience even snappier load times, which I have been able to confirm.
    Primarily, it's your foreign traffic that will benefit most from the CDN service.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shelly H.

Shelly H.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello and thanks for the info.
    I was thinking about using cloudflare myself but after I researched it some more, I`m not sure.
    I know you recommend it (read review at opencarnage) but I also read other sources and I stumbled upon this one here: forums.voiceofthepublic.com/smf2/index.php?topic=1281.0

The link in this post lead me to a very convincing review that says that cloudflare is just a snake oil.
    The review is supported by long written report and even a video that shows how easy it is to hack cloudflare.

I was really turned off when I read the comments some cloudflare PR guys try to gang up on the reviewer.

Eventual he was forced to come out and defend himself - this is a part of what he wrote:

"I am the author of this review and I have indeed contacted the Cloudflare team several times during the last months about the security issues. You have given the same copy/paste response over and over. "Our WAF is undergoing a radical overhaul as we speak." You have been saying this for several months. And you have been selling this WAF solution for how many years?
    Your WAF is more or less a fake. And it is time to shed some light on this issue. I can't even imagine how many customers out there that you fooled, making them think that they got protection when they don't. This is what this review is made for.
    Shame on you for making these accusations. Very unprofessional."

I decided not to use cloudflare after that.
    Do you really feel that you get your moneys' worth from their pro services?

8. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm doubtful using such services I feel like I'd lose data. Imagine changing the nameservers to theirs? lol

9. patrick.s

patrick.s
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use it for most my sites. I don't normally have high load or high traffic sites so there isn't much of a difference.