Client is Spamming Me

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by markgo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. markgo

markgo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I am new to BAF and this is my first question.

I have a new client that contracted with my business last week to receive services. It is a decent-sized contract and if all goes well we will be working together for a year or so.

Today, I got some political spam (in favor of a Presidential candidate which I happen to not support) from my the owner of the small company that hired me. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with this person, and much of our (apolitical) communications work is done by phone and email, so we are in a starting point (and perhaps fragile stage) of our business relationship.

Any advice about how to respond to this (group) spam that I got? I've only gotten one message so far, and I don't think I've ever had a client send stuff like this to me out of the blue, so I am weighing how to respond. I could ignore it, but then my staff or I will likely continue to get this sort of email from him. Could just delete it, but this will likely continue, and get annoying fast. My first inclination is to write a short email back asking him to please exclude me from non-business emails, as I get so much business email as it is -- but does anyone have any other thoughts or stories about this type of situation?

This is an interesting situation to me, and I wonder if others have had this happen and if there is a proper netiquette (to guide my response, not his inappropriate email). Not the sort of thing that will keep me up all night, but I would appreciate the input before I fire off a response.

Thanks!!!

markgo

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I would send the client a very polite but firm email telling him that company email is to be used only for questions and concerns about his account with you. Because you also communicate by phone, you might want to casually bring it up in a conversation. If it was indeed a one-time incident, this should take care of the problem. If it does not, send him a reminder. If it continues, send one final reminder, telling him that if it does not stop, you will no longer be able to keep him as a client.
    Remember, your relationship, no matter how new or fragile, is a business one. If the client cannot understand that, sometimes you have to let them go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It shouldn't be a problem telling him you only want the type of emails concerning your relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree you could talk it over with him. But another option would be to just set up a folder and filter emails with certain keywords into it so you don't even have to see them. That way they won't bother you and you may not even have to worry about confronting him about it, or you can wait until the account is more secure to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I'd just ignore it. Your client most probably supports the candidate and has just sent out one email to his address book to promote that candidate. Your client doesn't sound like someone who sends out lots of spam emails so I would say that you have nothing to worry about. Why would you risk embarrassing your client or potentially damaging a relationship just because of one email?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can ignore it, then set up the feature on your email about spams where it will automatically delete or put into your trash email those messages coming from him/her/whosoever it is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. markgo

markgo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks, all. I appreciate the feedback. I guess that the reason that the one email bothers me is that I have a feeling in my gut that I will get more from this person. I am going to take a "wait and see" approach for a couple of weeks and if I get more emails I will find a way to tell him that I am looking forward to working with him but would prefer not to get non-business-related emails.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That would be another good idea. But I think it would only spark from that individual more will to email you rather than to stop. Well, I hope you stop getting his/her emails from now on.

9. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If he's using a free email provider such as hotmail, etc. or has mentioned his email on a public domain then chances are he was hacked.

10. markgo

markgo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The emails are definitely from him. I have gotten to know him a bit better during the past week. I think that he would just stop if I asked, but I haven't gotten anything else from him so far, so I am continuing with the "wait and see" plan. Maybe he reads this forum ;-) !

11. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So markgo, how was it going now? Did you experience any improvements now on your emails?

12. sirfa

sirfa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

so you must spam him

13. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So, hows your emails going on ?? are u getting nonspam emails or not ?? This is absolutely an interesting situation to you.

14. markgo

markgo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HeHeHeHe

15. markgo

markgo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for everyone's interest. No more spam so far!

16. Ben Advice

Ben Advice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Lots of good advice in this thread. I have to agree that a firm but polite response letting them know that you wish to keep politics out of the business relationship is the way to go. Definitely don't ignore the email as it may give the client the false idea that your company is unable to handle disagreements or discrepancies in a fashionable manner.

This should allow for a good business relationship, but if the client won't step away from the politically motivated emails, it may simply not be a good relationship to get into.

17. jamescorden12

jamescorden12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, you start spamming him and communicate with your client. You just email to google for this type of work.

18. memoonamike

memoonamike
    uix_expand uix_collapse

congrats you for your problem solve.

19. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's great. At least you won't be bothered anymore. :)