Claiming property after certain period of time of unpaid fees

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Shawn Harriman, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Shawn Harriman

Shawn Harriman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure how clear the title is but I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about probably 3 just to protect myself, btw I live in Maine incase laws differ from state to state

1.) Jim comes in and needs her computer cleaned up (virus removal, program removal, and disk defrag) I tell them it will be 20 dollars an hour and will be done tomorrow. Now lets say I finish tomorrow like expected but I can't get ahold of Jim with any contact information given me and say a month has passed Jim has yet to stop by to pick up his computer, can I claim the computer not because I don't think he will show up ever but because theres not been any contact and I have yet to be paid and need to make the money for my service, and without contact it's hard to know if I'll ever be paid.

2.) Same as above but 2 things name is Bob this time and they also bought a computer part for me to install and right up front paid me for the part but not yet for the service. Never shows up to take back the computer can't get in contact. What happens here? What if the month after, after I've claimed it can he at least take the part he did pay for?

3.) How long do I have to wait if it's not a month? If there is already implied in every business the right to do this what is it? I have something in my agreement that says 30 days then I claim it.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When visiting dry cleaners I've seen signs that specify how long they will keep clothes for, before they dispose of them. You could try a similar approach, have a clearly visible sign on your premises and make it clear on the documentation you give to your customers, that their property will only be kept for a certain period of time before you dispose of it. A two month period would seem fair for computer equipment.

How does that sound to you Shawn?