City Business Licenses

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by LauraLLMphoto, Oct 15, 2009.

1. LauraLLMphoto

LauraLLMphoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've been doing business in photographic services for sometime now. Having registered my business license with one city in which I live in was all I thought required to have a business license. Generally, I process work out of where I live, but the photographing can talk palce in which ever city the client is located in or has an event. So, I was just notified that I must pay and register in every city I get a photography job. This adds so much expense I was not aware of. Is this true? Why? What is the reasoning to having a business license? What benefit is there or is it just the law? Why is there not a county wide license, since I work in multiple counties and never know what city my next client is going to live in. This seems completely archaic. Now I have to drive to every cities civic center every time I get a client from different cities and pay and register... this just doesn't make sense to me and seems completely inefficient.
    Please, if anyone can advise???

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Laura and thanks for posting your business questions. What country do you operate in?

Have you spoken to your local photographic association, I'd imagine that they would be familiar with the specific laws for your area?