CitiBank - Top Ten Ways Sabotage their Careers

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A CitiBank list of the top ten ways women sabotage their careers has been published on the web. Items on the list include smiling at inappropriate times, grooming in public and speaking too softly. You can read about it here.

What do you think - sexist drivel or helpful advice for female employees?

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A bit of both, perhaps. Though I think that when any advice is something you can learn from you should grab it with both hands, male or female. :)

1. Women tend to speak softly - you are not heard.
    I do sometimes but not so much that it makes me unclear. My failing tends to be speaking too fast rather than too quietly. I make a point of asking from the start if it's a presentation if everyone can hear me okay.

2. Women groom in public - it emphasizes your femininity, deemphasizes your capability
    Not guilty. And shame on any women who does! Very unprofessional.

3. Women sit demurely - the power position when seated at a table is forearms resting on a table and resting forward.
    I don't sit with both arms on the table, just my writing hand but do sit forward. Anyone that slumps in a chair looks disinterested and inattentive.

4. Speak last in meetings - early speakers are seen as more assertive and knowledgeable than late speakers.
    I don't consciously do either. I'll speak when the opportunity arises to ask a question or make a point when it's polite timing. I don't leave meetings wishing I'd spoken up.

5. Women ask permission - children are taught to ask permission. Men don't ask permission, they inform.
    Depends entirely on the situation and who I'm talking to. I do both. That one's sexist drivel.

6. Apologize - women apologize for the smallest error which erodes your self-confidence. Men tend to move into problem solving mode.
    I apologize when necessary then go on to fix what's wrong and learn from that so it doesn't happen again. I don't see why you can't both apologize and remedy the situation.

7. Women tend to smile inappropriately when delivering a message, therefore you are not getting taken seriously.
    Definitely don't do that. When I'm serious there's no doubt in anyone's mind.

8. Play fair - women tend to be more naive. A women might assume the rules have to obeyed whereas a man will figure out a way to stretch the rules and not be punished.
    So it's naive to do the right thing?? There was me thinking that was a sign of integrity. I wouldn't but it's personal choice if you want to "stretch the rules". Let's not be coy here, that means lie and cheat. Women and men can both do that to get ahead. Sexist drivel. I just know a man wrote this list.

9. Being invisible - women tend to operate behind the scenes and end up handing credit over to the competitor.
    Nope, I don't do that. I get (and give) credit where credit is due. And I learned long ago to keep a copy of everything if I think there's a chance the other person may want to "stretch the rules" and take credit for my work.

10. Offer a limp handshake - one good pump and a concise greeting combined with solid eye contact will do the trick.
    Nothing limp about mine. :)

I'll be interested to see what anyone else thought of this list. Maybe twenty or thirty years ago this would have applied but now I think ambitious women can be just as cutthroat as men.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I thought you might have an opinion on that one Kay :) I've known plenty of women in business, to whom those characteristics were not applicable, especially the "Women tend to speak softly" :)