Choosing my double major in college: The Struggle.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Joey Sauerland, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Joey Sauerland

Joey Sauerland
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently had a dilemma while trying to plan out my college career due to career realizations. I'd really like to work for google, so doing the logical thing, looked up some possible business jobs that I'd be interested in. Long story short, my primary interests were Finance, Management (being strictly management), and Human Resources. Looking into Human Resources, a Management degree fulfills this quite optimally.

However, often times I'll see that they prefer an Industrial / Organisational psychologist. Although it might seem logical to double major into very relevant majors (i.e.: Management, Finance), would it actually be more practical (yes, I said practical and not ideal) to major in Management and Psychology (with the focus on Industrial/Organisational)? I mean I can still pick 1-2 minors as well to incorporate (they have advertising, finance, computer science etc) into my college career, but I'm simply trying to make myself more useful in-order to get a leg up in the competition.

Thanks! :D

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joey, I believe you should go with the subject that you are really interesting in studying, no matter if it's double major. Thing is you are looking of yourself not of others. Two things at a time can be really troublesome and hard to handle. I hope you choose the best.

3. HomeBiz Success

HomeBiz Success
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Go with what you love most but include business management in there somewhere.

4. isisplinfo

isisplinfo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joey,
    I do agree with what devilbatista has said above.
    Additionally, If you can find some good career counselor in your city/area, Go for it without hesitation. Sometimes, we get even more ideas and options from them and sometime these professionals really help us to take right decision with confidence.

Good Luck Mate!