Choosing a good domain

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by Aniruddh, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Aniruddh

Aniruddh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    Choosing a good domain is a topic much debated upon. I have gone through a lot of articles on choosing good domains, and they all tell the same thing, just in a twisted manner with different words, your domain must be easy to remember, must be short, must not be too long, blah blah and blah. These tips, according to me, tell you 'what' your domain should be, but not how to actually chose the domain.

Choosing a domain can be tough. It's your brand name, and a good brand name leaves a lasting impression on the audience. One of the techniques that I use, not just for domains, but for anything I have to name is, I merge a few words to make something unique. Now the question arises in your mind, which words? I jot down all the key words related to my topic. For example, if I was looking for a domain related to tech, I jot down the key words related to tech like ify, technology, byte, techno, wires, Apple, Microsoft etc.. Basically anything which reminds me of technology. A good word here could be the mixture of techno and byte, Technobyte. Simple, wasn't it? Instead of brainstorming weird names for hours and wasting your time, you had a brand new and shiny domain name in about 5 minutes.

Hope I helped you guys :)
    Aniruddh

• Like Like x 2
  2. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

nice tip and it sounded like a brand. exact match domain today isn't important too.

3. larryfinch

larryfinch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

After Google EMD, the importance of domain seems to less and less.

4. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice tutorial, I like it and thanks :) for sharing.

5. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the tips. I always find that picking the right domain is one of the hardest parts of making a site. I usually come up with some good ideas, but then they're taken.

6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, good domain can be build by marketing. Marketing makes the domain become value, not how we choose the domain.

This domain looks silly, http://duckduckgo.com/ but it worth for million. If Microsoft and Instagram not popular, would you remember?

7. Justinjude

Justinjude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The first thing a person notices about the domain is its uniqueness and the second thing, whether its easy to remember or not? If your domain matched these two criteria then it is a good domain.