Choosing a career: Passion or Money?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Tygolfs94, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Tygolfs94

Tygolfs94
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am currently a high school senior, trying to choose a major for next year so I can apply to colleges early.

I am trying to choose between a career in Professional Golf Management or Engineering.
    I have played golf for over half my life, and love every aspect of it. I work at a golf course now, and have for the last two or so years. Coming out of college, I would be an assistant golf pro, making somewhere in the ballpark of $40,000. From there I could advance to Head Pro, GM, and Director of Golf, each coming with a respectable raise.

Math and science have always been strong points for me in school, so if I chose engineering I'm sure I would be successful. However, I feel that it would be something I would wake up everyday and not look forward to. Coming out of college there is an average starting salary of $60,000, with plenty of room for a raise as the year pass.

I feel that my dad, who is an engineer himself, wants me to pursue engineering mainly because of the financial security. We both know I CAN do it, but I feel that it is more of a matter of wanting to. I don't want to choose a job that I don't want to go to.

Anyways, any advice would be well appreciated. Should I go with passion or financial security? Thanks for any help!

2. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Tygolfs94 and welcome to BAF.

As you already stated that, this is something you are good at but not passionate about. Financial security is really what everyone desires, but I would suggest that you follow what interests you the most. If you become an engineer but are not passionate about the career it might be you won't end up as successful and your mind would keep on wandering towards golf. The decision is yours to make after all but I would suggest you pursue the career in which you are sure you would be able to achieve great heights of success and where you would be really creative.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Tygolfs94 personally I'd recommend pursuing your passion, which in this case appears to be golf. Golf is a huge sport and there is a lot of big money involved in it, hence there are lots of ways that you could make a good living from it. My suggestion would be to spend some quiet time with a pen and paper and write a long list of all the ways you can think of that you could make a living from golf, then think about which of those (or perhaps combination of those) would be most suitable for you. You know the sport much better than me so you could write a much larger list, however you could start with items such as;

• Golf player
    • Coach
    • Journalist / golf reporter
    • Golf blog or other golf related website owner
    • Green keeper
    • Golf club marketing and / or management
    • Golf equipment sales
    • Golf product design - perhaps combining your Engineering abilities
    • Etc.

If you are passionate about golf you won't have to sacrifice a good income in order to pursue a career in it, in fact you will most probably make a much higher income working in an area you enjoy than you could working anywhere else.

Good luck with everything!

4. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also agree with going after what you are passionate about as well but here's something to throw into the mix. Is it possible to somehow combine golf with engineering? Wouldn't golf course design fall under engineering? One scenario would be to do both or let's say studying mainly engineering during the academic season while working in the golf industry during your summers. Then when you graduate, you can either do both or work in the industry that brings you some money security in the meantime while working on the other on the side. Different ways to spin this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ladydeluxehotel

ladydeluxehotel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I remember a friend talking about this stuff.. Passion or money. Then he said, "our parents lead us to college for us to get a bachelor degree and to get a decent job that will let us to earn pretty high salary, so no matter if we follow our passion or not, lets just be practical on how to survive in thing thing called life." Well, i agree with him though. But deep inside me, i will not enjoy the money i am eraning especially when i leave behind my passion which is considered as my dream. So passion is what matters with me.

6. theOkilla

theOkilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would have to say passion. I want to run forums and do web design for a living because I love it. I also do think that has a great future because everything is moving to computers. I think for me it's a little bit of both. I wouldn't do it if I hated it.

7. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would go for a career that I was passionate about. If I'm not happy with my job, I won't be happy period. You need to do something that will make you happy or you could end up depressed and wondering "what if?".

• Like Like x 1
  8. LeasedStaffing

LeasedStaffing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You must always have a vision in your life. It is nice to see people having a goal.
    Keep it up dude. I can help you after you finish your schooling.

#8 LeasedStaffing, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always go for my passion. Working on something you really enjoy is more than enough payment than a job that makes you bored to death that have high payment. You could always excel on a job based on your interest and passion than the one that you only took because of money.

Another thing is, I kinda agree with Clint Cora. You can combine both if you want and have a titl of "golf playing Engineer". :)

Good luck. Hope my suggestion helped you in some way.

10. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you already have your answer. :)
    Even though it makes sense for an Engineer to be successful in its field, however there's a strong possibility that it won't take off as planned. Now if it doesn't take off that will be quite disastrous for you. Being stuck in a job that's not being successful and to top it off being something that you don't like. The resentment will only grow from there, and you will be left thinking about your passion which you didn't pursue.

Wishing you lots of luck!

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Do you currently own any forums? What type of forums do you own or would you like to own?

12. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would say passion. Passion will lead you to earning money..

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True. That's what we do, right?

14. Vernmarker

Vernmarker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its a difficult choice we all face. To me the key is to finding the balance between the two, and I see your interested in a golf career. Its a passion for me as well, Im currently enrolled in Keisar University's College of golf program, and Im loving. Im training for a managerial position, and hopefully soon get an opportunity for an administrative position at a golf company. Enrolling at a place like this can lead to both money and passion for you, hope it helps! Here is their facebook page http://on.fb.me/GolfCareer

#14 Vernmarker, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  15. digital150

digital150
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would be better to go with passion, 5 or 6 years down the line you could be an engineer thinking the job is ok, but its really not what I want to be doing. As you seem so passionate about golfing, you are less likely to become 'bored' of this, and therefore you may find it more rewarding to choose this path, rather than one you are not so sure of.

16. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with this 100%. Do whatever you like to do, and that will lead you to money. For example, I love designing so I was looking around and I saw that if my skills were a little bit better, I would be able to get a pretty good amount of money. That way I would be doing something that I love, and earning money.

17. Valentine

Valentine
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are passionate about something, you give it your best 100% of the time. Its only natural then that you get the better results.the real question is, how do you measure success?What does success mean to you?Passion or money?At the end, money will always come from the best results,which come from passion which in your own case is golf.

18. HostingBee

HostingBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get creative and enthusiastic about doing what you love, and I have no doubt in my mind that you'll find your way to have both passion and money in your life. Just remember that passion has got to come first.

If you want to be confident and attract success on your own terms, download Thad's free special report: "How To Find Your Passion In 3 Easy Steps"

19. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How did it helped you?

20. tracidb80

tracidb80
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me it is important to enjoy what I am doing and the money comes in by doing a fantastic job enjoying what I am doing.

• Like Like x 1