Check out the new blog, some feedback required

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by Entré, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there, I have not officially opened the blog yet and started marketing it properly. I thought first I would get it up and running, a few articles and tweak it until I am happy with it.

Log on and post your feedback here on ANYTHING. As long as it's constructive criticism then I am happy :)

GamesNoise.com - All The Noise From Around The Gaming World

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm not a gamer myself, however I do really like the appearance of your blog. It looks extremely professional and I have liked it on FaceBook. The domain name is excellent and very apt for the subject of your blog. I would say that your main priority now is to regularly add great quality original content to the blog.

Good luck with it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd definitely look at decreasing load times. The design is good and the name is alright in my opinion; I'd have gone with gamer noise because it's easier to say and change the favicon, it's currently the wordpress logo. But I could see it working fine.

Load times though, got to fix that. If the images are cached it's not taking abnormally long but when I reset Safari, clear the browser of everything, and load the site it's taking upward of 30 seconds to complete on 1.5mb/s in Los Angeles. I also tried a server in Amsterdam, that took 7.25 on a 100mb/s line.

http://gamesnoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BESTLOGO.png - logo's really don't need to be 12k, it's mostly square and greyscale so you can lower the quality. If you need, do the text separate from the controller.

One post has: http://gamesnoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/cast-feature-lee.png at 365k, you've uploaded the full size image and posted it smaller. Shrink the files before posting it, export with photoshop to a web format, and decrease the file size.

http://gamesnoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PAGEBACK26.jpg and definitely, definitely, scrap the background. 774kb for what's mostly covered. You can put black space in the middle if you're hell bent on that for design, you can also lower the quality a bit, but I'd scrap it and tile up a nice small 1 to 4k file for a textured background.

Slideshow, same thing really. You're going from 98 to 217k for each image, bringing the total to 503k -- Add in the other images and everything else, your page comes up at 3.8MB, even on a fast connection that's simply too large. The server won't be able to handle many visitors like this (I can actually get a consistently slower load time by simply refreshing the tab a few times) and it looks like you're hosted with hostatree.com which doesn't offer unmetered bandwidth, so you're going to pay a lot more money per visitor than you need to.

So yeah, not a huge problem really. Wordpress is fairly good with load times but you got very large images; just import all your images into photoshop, shrink the ones that are larger pixel wise than you're actually displaying, compress when you can, export them out using the web tool, overwrite, and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Entré

Entré
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Much appreciated feedback, will most definitely be looking to implement these changes. And yes the favicon was the next move anyway :) Thanks for liking the page Fergal. PS9 Thanks for writing such a detailed answer in reference to the loading time of the site. I will take this in mind, :)

Thanks

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, a great gaming blog ..interesting articles, beautiful and eyecatching theme..include a cool sounds of Counter Strikes(CS) or anything like that..It will be more interesting..

6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like the domain name. The design isn't really that bad. But I think the logo can be improvised. Add some more links tab in the top navigation bar. The background image isn't coming out. It could be something that would be visible. I see some pictures over there but it's blocked. It seems like a new site, so keep on adding contents and Hope you all the best for your site!

7. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would recommend you seek feedback directly from people who are in your target audience - like gamers who would use a site like that for instance.

I am not in your target audience, but I will share my feedback for what it is worth.

My first impression of the site was a positive one.

My eyes were immediately drawn to the two figures on each side of the page. I would change that background image to move them lower. That way the slider at the top of your blog stands out more. I would think you want eyeballs to hit that slider right away so that you can hopefully capture their attention.

I am not a huge fan of the white text on that blue/grey background. But, I can't think of a good alternative for your site if you are going to use that background. The contrast is good. It is just that I prefer black text on a white background personally.

I think you are off to a good start though. Just pay close attention to suggestions from real gamers who visit sites like yours. Those are the people you really want to impress. Maybe their opinions are completely different than mine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ronei Daselva

Ronei Daselva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As an SEO prospective i would say its a great one. I am not big fan of games but seriously its nice one.