Chat Service versus Phone service

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Ralph Go, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Ralph Go

Ralph Go
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been using chat services for my website for customer support and lead generation aside from getting phone services which cost a lot higher. A lot of progress happened lately and is increasing my sales volume day by day around 3-5% in the first week and I noticed results for my sales have escalated up to 8-15% in the past 2 weeks.

Upon placing myself in the customer's shoes really find it convenient rather than waiting for somebody to pick up the phone. A chat representative can attend to the customer in less than 3-5 seconds. While a phone support representative attends to the customer after minutes! Since you need to press numbers in the telephone to reach to a specific department where I find it very inconvenient.

For small and medium size business owners here, are you using Live chat services for your websites or doing both chat and phone support? And as a customer, how can you differentiate both from your personal experience?

If so, please share some results on the different advantages and disadvantages of having chat and phone services and what platform or service you are using. Please hit me a comment so you can share some ideas about what you think. Thanks!

2. Mike Levin

Mike Levin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use both: live-chat as well as phone system in my small business. A big amount of clients can be served via live chat or email, however we also have a phone lines. It always depend on the customer and the issue they are experiencing. It's really fast to solve the problems over the phone rather then chatting and trying to help customer.

3. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'd suggest for you to use both. Phone support can focus more on urgent matters while chat support can help with the basic inquiries. This way, it will increase the reliability of your customer support system.

4. Kuznec

Kuznec
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do not know, I'm in chat responding for longer than on the phone. Happens that I wait for half an hour until someone appears in the chat.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I'm afraid I agree with Kuznec on this one, as I have had similar experience with live chat. In the most recent case, I needed the answer to a basic question, and when the rep finally joined the chat, she asked me for information that had nothing to do with the question. If someone needs the answer to a basic question, that's what FAQ pages are for. For more detailed questions, actually having a conversation with a live person on the phone is quicker than waiting for a person on a "live" chat to finish typing.

6. rf-harris

rf-harris
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess what's more important thing is that the support person should have fully knowledge about his/her Company and its products/services. Whether it is on live chat or on Phone. I personally like the live chat as it gives both parties "the customer and the support person" few seconds to think before they reply. I hope you get my point :)

7. Sam Carter

Sam Carter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think using live chat for your website is very important these days, specifically for e-commerce businesses. It helps to deal with customer queries instantly and also speeds up sales process. Since customer’s queries will be solved in no-time, there will be a greater chance that they will not abandon the website without shopping.