Changing SEO strategy

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by apexis, May 8, 2012.

1. apexis

apexis
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey guys…
    I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all of you giving us feedback as we go through this tough time with this Penguin update… Anyway, originally one of our SEO tactics was having custom written articles sent to various article sites and posted. Since that a lot of them were scraped and ripped off and I believe affected our SEO greatly. That being said, if we were getting blog sites to write an article about us, and put the link ONLY on that one blog page and the page over time gained a PR1 for example… would that help us even if afterwards someone ripped off the article? Some blog sites are telling us to put the link on the blog roll so it is on every page, but my understanding is that would be a waste as if it is a site wide link it isn't going to receive any link juice. So, doing a custom one page blog post on a site with just that single outbound link would be the best strategy from an SEO standpoint on blogs?

2. kevinjeffersons

kevinjeffersons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As i remembered about Randfish post, instead of site wide link make a page for the links at your blog roll..This is better that having the blogroll on the side of your blog..

3. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To recover from penguin update, it is important to focus both on-page and off page quality.

On page quality control:
    1. Page have great content to attract reader, which is able to reduce bounce rate. No copycat content
    2. Great design and support mobile device
    3. The ratio of inter page linking more than outbound link. The little OBL the better
    4. Constant update
    5. Avoid over SEO on keywords, have good title and description for every single page.
    bad example:
    Off page linking - Get links from the site that meet above requirement + the site get good linking from quality site too.

4. Owen

Owen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you are an Authority You should get links from Authority.

1. Get links from Authority Pages (Which has more value than crappy pages having bunch of links)

2. Those Pages should have Quality Links and Social Signals.

3. Don't Use SERP Manipulating Keywords in Anchor text ("Exact Match Keywords")

4. Better to use your Brand Name in Keywords.

5. Participate in Web2.0 Networks.

6. As usual get concentrate on contextual links.

If you follow these, You no need to worry about any animals so called PANDA / Penguine or what so ever in future.

5. monicabrooks

monicabrooks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

, Google has made an aggressive change to the way search results are displayed. They have introduced a new results box called “People and Pages on Google+.” This is prominent and will grow in use. This will only display when logged into your account, but the power is obvious.

#5 monicabrooks, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  6. smithjohn12

smithjohn12
    uix_expand uix_collapse

new seo strategies like PDF submission, slide submission, image optimization, are new and effective method.

7. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

PDF or eBook distribution is quite effective.

8. T-RexCards

T-RexCards
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed, although PDF / Ebook distribution is more of an alternative to true "SEO" and falls under the "Search Engine Marketing" category... in my opinion!

9. ChrisDouthit

ChrisDouthit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Spinning is not a good idea unless you really have a good spin with every word....

Also how is a crappy spun article good for readers? Who cares if it is only there to build links to your money site... it still has to answer the big question that google wants....

Is it good quality content and is it enhancing user experience???

I very much doubt it.....

Your time is better spent creating unique content that makes sense.

I use to spin articles so don't get me wrong it use to work fantastically....

But would you be confident telling your clients that you publish crappy content that doesnt make sense with a link back to their business on it? I very much doubt it

10. DanGild

DanGild
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Post Penguin, the only parameter you should stick through you SEO campaign, is: Trafficked Links.

That is, build links for users, not bots. Try to think how to create links that pass traffic.

Considering this parameter will change your SEO style & work and will influence other SEO parameters that should be brought into attention:
    1. titles
    2. desc.
    3. content
    4. etc.

No more titles/ desc/ content stuffed with keywords or spinned, but rather put more emphasis on marketing & creative techniques in your SEO journey.

It will bring users who influence your rankings

11. MartinLedley

MartinLedley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's okay to have the most relevant keywords in the title and description, but they have to read properly for humans as the robots can do that to.

You have to keep the keywords as close together as possible (proximity) and if you can leave out words like 'and', 'the', 'what', 'if' etc... as they are not needed and will just take up space. The length of the title tag should not exceed 85 characters, including spaces, if possible, and never more than 120. Google truncate words at 66 characters and Yahoo at 75 characters, so if you can make sure it reads correctly after that many characters it won't cut off in the middle of a word and look odd. Making small changes like that can only help make up for losses due to the Penguin update.

As for links in forums and blog posts, I don't think Google place too much emphasis on them now, but I could be wrong on that, I just vaguely remember reading that somewhere.

12. gogreenbusiness

gogreenbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A very timely topic. These info will surely help me a lot since right now, i really don't know where my SEO stand. Darn with that google update :(

13. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keywords are always very important but nowadays, these are many factors which determines site ranking as the search engines (in recent updates) decided to put not so much weight on keywords to avoid spamming. Search engine ranking of a site depends on description, tags, keywords, page title, link, URL and content. In today's search engine optimization techniques, "content is king". If you have a quality and unique content on your site related to targeted keywords, you can appear well ranked in search engine.

14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some companies actually are sending me pm to take out their links in the article theyve submit in my article directory. Why are they doing this when the article is very related to their niche?