Changing Domain: Will it do better?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by GekiDan, Mar 3, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I really planned to changed my domain name from INFO to COM for a while now. But I'm think about the PROs and CONs on the step I will make.

PROs:
    Better domain TLD
    Easy to remember

CONs:
    Start all over again in promoting
    Loose visitors

So any suggestions?

2. heatseeker

heatseeker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think it will do much harm, because you can also redirect the URL to new one if you still have info domain for a while and promote the site side by side. If you have members subscribed to your site you could send them emails regarding the change.

3. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Id agree with the other members, that changing your domain name should not cause any major issues for your site promotion. As realitybites.in said, use a 301 redirect, search engines view this as a permanent redirect and it is the form of redirect that will do least damage to your search engine listings and get your new domain ranked as quick as possible.

In summary I'd say, move your site to the .com domain and use a 301 redirect from your existing .info to your new .com.

5. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know Google Webmasters have this tool called Change of Address. Will it help so that I will not submit my site on Google again? Any people used that tool before?

How about the links outside and inside my blog?

6. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As reality has said, there really isn't too much of a problem switching domains. Make sure you keep the .info active though as of now since most the visitors reach your site through that. Here's what you will do.
    1. Move all your content from the .info to your new .com domain.
    2. Create a redirect from your .info and have it point to your new .com domain.
    (This will make it so that all of your visitors typing in the .info will still show up to your page, just now to a .com. Believe it or not, a lot of your visitors will also start realizing this and just start typing in the domain with the .com)

Keep in mind, .com domains are always a better option. It shows more originality and more professionalism. Also, if you can afford this, I would also advise to purchase the .net and .org for the domain you are planning on getting. This way, you own that entity in all it's fair rights with the main domain names. You can always use the different domains for different purposes later on, but for beginning and you can do the same as you would with your .info, which is redirecting them to the .com address.

Also, keep in mind, the .com does help a lot more with the search engine rankings, which we all know, is the real traffic to sites.

Hope this helps Geki.

7. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does your site give you the option to use both domains? If so you could do that. .info domains are only about $2 a year so it's not a massive problem if you have to buy it for another year to redirect it to the .com is it?

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Only one can be used. But I can put a domain forwarding option on the INFO domain if I choose to purchase COM domain.

9. blacknight

blacknight
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Keep both domains and use a .htaccess mod_rewrite rule to push all the traffic from the original domain to the new one.

Most hosting providers support multiple domains per account so it shouldn't be an issue

If the site is making money then the cost of an extra domain or two shouldn't come into the equation

If you can't afford the domains then your business has serious issues and the domains won't help!

10. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GekiDan

as you are using blogger this is a problem to use 301 redirect

use .com for your blogger blog

and use .info ...in your hosting account ( or use free host ) to redirect to .com

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can use the forwarding option on my domain control panel via GoDaddy.
    I'll see if I can purchase one in the coming week.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys. I've already purchased a COM domain via GoDaddy and done a little experiment. I used my COM domain to redirect it to my INFO domain via domain forwarding. But when I enter www.jefusion.com it doesn't forward to my domain and gives an error message. But when i enter http://jefusion.com it automatically forwarded to my INFO domain.

What will I do so that both www.jefusion.com and jefusion.com will forward to www.jefusion.info?

13. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there is no problem

both the link's are working

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The .com version is automatically redirecting me to the .info domain. It can take up to 24 hours for the name servers to resolve.

15. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Both of them are working fine for me. It can take upto 24 - 48 Hours to allow DNS to propogate on your end. You can check it via some proxy site's like - http://hidemyass.com

Thanks!

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's working properly now. Now, what needs to be done is promote my site using the COM domain.
    Thanks for the help. I'm also considering Sahil's help on promoting my site to various directories soon.

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If you'd like any help with that, please post any questions you might have in our Online Marketing, Advertising & SEO forum.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the help guys. I'm planning to promote it to various forums along with my link building work. :D That's what I have done in the previous domain I used.

Update on my site: Both domain names are working with www.JEFusion.com being the primary domain. I also used the Change of Address option on Google Webmaster Tools and let's see what it can do in helping my new domain get back my previous SE visitors.