Changing domain name of the website

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by kevinkrieger, Feb 15, 2014.

1. kevinkrieger

kevinkrieger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My website lost rankings in Google after last algorithm updates. I have removed all the bad links from it but still can not see any positive results for the website. Now I am planning to redirect the old domain to the new one. Is it possible to use the same content? Will it cause problems in indexing the new website? Will the content be considered as copied from the original domain? I am going to use keyword in new domain name. Will using keyword be beneficial in new domain? Please let me know if any other option is available besides changing domain name for better SEO results.

2. lomey

lomey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

first of all, you admit that you have bad links, ok. so better stop such practice.
    you will have to create fresh high quality content.
    Domain name will not, in any way, effect your ranking or reputation. All you have to do is build reputation by posting better content.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Removing the bad links is only the first step. You now have to replace the bad links with good ones. As you accumulate more good links, your rankings should go back up, but it won't happen right away.

lomey is correct, a change of domain name will not have an appreciable effect on your rankings. Keep the old domain, and add more quality links to replace the bad ones. Then, in the future, make sure you use only quality links. Changing the domain name would be like buying a new car because the oil needs to be changed on the old one. Once you change the oil, you've solved the problem, so buying a new car isn't necessary.

4. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hmm, This is such a great comparison to the real situation.

@kevinkrieger : I hope you learned your lessons, now you better change your ways to optimize your website, don't engage on getting low quality links anymore, at least now you already knwo the consequences when you do it.

5. councilsoft

councilsoft
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HI

That is good if you are doing redirect with new website.
    You need to use there fresh content because your website is penalized with this content so you don't use this content again with fresh website.

Create unique and fresh content with keyword density for your new website.

Don't use Keyword specific domain name because Google doesn't prefer in his EMD update (Exact Match Domain) with duplicate content and keyword stuffing.

and if you don't want to change your domain then you need to refresh your website with fresh content with keyword density, remove all spammy links from your website update your website content according to updates & requirement, use Google webmaster tool refresh your website there and check webmaster tool errors and remove all.