Chances of success for blog venture

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by Jenner, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jenner

Jenner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,
    I'm hoping for advice about starting a blog and eventually earning from it.
    I currently run an ecommerce business which is doing well but am looking for a side venture away from physical sales. I do currently write the blog for this business but it is purely for driving traffic to the main website.

I am a writer and would like to start a blog offering advice on a recession based niche. I know that blogs take a lot of time to build up and even longer to provide any real income stream- if it does at all, but I believe writing valuable information that people need will do well. I plan to write on average 3k words of content per day for this blog which will we well researched and well optimised.

Those of you who do similar, is it likely it could bring in money without an additional service (other than ebook sales) through advertising and adwords etc? I need to decide what exactly I'll offer besides free advice.

Thanks for any help.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum Jenner, thanks for joining. As you say it takes time and dedication to start earning from a blog, however, it can be done. 3,000 words per day is a lot of content and if that content is of value to your target visitors you will be well on your way to having a very successful blog. Have you thought about who your target visitors are, what they value in a blog like yours and how you can offer something that the existing sites in the niche are not providing?

A lot of businesses are interested in advertising to niches related to the recession, so if you develop a quality blog and a strong readership it should not be difficult to find advertisers and generate good revenue from it.

Although I don't have an active blog myself, I previously read the ProBlogger Book. It's easy to read and contains some very useful and practical information for anyone starting a blog. I'd suggest that it's well worth a read for someone in your situation. (I'm not affiliated with the site or book in any way).

There are lots of links related to blogging in the Blogging section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread, that you might find very helpful.

Good luck with it!

3. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Since you are a writer, why not use the blog to offer writing services? I think it would provide a higher income than any kind of advertising.