Ceo of a video game company

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by McPhaul, Dec 28, 2010.

1. McPhaul

McPhaul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, I have a question that involves my big goal towards my career and FIEA. My ultimate goal in life is to have my own video game company. My early steps to accomplish my goal are to get a bachelors degree in computer science at UCF which is a 5 year program. I will finish up my 2 year Valencia Community College computer science transfer plan to enroll at UCF to finish up 3 more years at UCF to earn a bachelors degree in computer science, so all together it’s 5 years. Hopefully I get a job as a computer programmer, because that is what I want to be. As I’m working I would go back to college and earn a computer science degree with a business emphasis tell me if I’m wrong that this is a CIS or MIS degree, which I believe will be two more years. I would then go into a video game design school like FIEA to learn how to make a video game and the skills and knowledge of the industry that is when I should have my master’s degree in interactive entertainment, which I believe will take 2 years. Could you please help me with these early steps to my life as a video game programmer that owns a video game company and that knows how to make a video game and the skills and knowledge of the industry? Thanks.

Jonathan McPhaul

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Jonathan, it sounds as if you have a well planned education and career path and that you know exactly where you want to go.

What I would suggest is that you compliment your education by getting some real world business experience related to your industry, starting now. You could do this by starting a blog related to video gaming, or perhaps a forum for the discussion and support of video gaming related topics. Other options you could consider are getting involved in affiliate marketing of video gaming products or starting a video gaming ebay business.

Does that sound like something you might be interested in?

3. McPhaul

McPhaul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your help, I will make a blog that deals with video games.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

5. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i will suggest applying for internships with BLizzard Or EA. they are the major game makers. they will offer you a contract (sometimes) if your internship performance is superb. Be wary that CompSci is mathematically-intensive tho. Do not think that you will only learn and do programming. You will have to be able to do calculus, algorithms at a high level to complete CS.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I addition, I would like to suggests joining a video gaming company first to know how everything goes and what they do to produce and create games. This will be a good start. Once you already have have a good knowledge about it, you can start your own company.

7. McPhaul

McPhaul
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know about the math lol, Im in both trig and pre calc algebra right now but i have a A as a grade in c programming so far,thanks for the help

#7 McPhaul, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011