Centered?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by hcted, Sep 12, 2010.

1. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Can someone help me with code? I have spent 4 hours on this.

Go to chatbam.com/test

There is a menu called in by a php line, and the file relys on javascript that is in the same directory. I checked all tags everywhere and coding, nothing makes it centered.

2. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I assume you're talking about the main nav menu at the top of the page? (it's the only menu on the page I can see)

If so, it's appearing as centered for me (on the latest version of FF - inherited from the body attributes of slider.css).

Have you fixed it? Or is it a cross browser compatibility issue?

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I beleive I am using the latest FF as well. What I am seeing is everything is centered on the page.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is your issue, that you can't centre the menu, without centring everything else on the page?

5. toddchrisley

toddchrisley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it's centered my friend

6. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You've applied 'text-align:center;' to everything within the <body> tag, so this is to be expected really.

I'm no designer/developer, but the obvious solution would appear to be removing the centering from the the body style settings and simply applying it to the individual elements you want centered (from a glance, from editing the CSS in firebug, it's only the logo that will need to be adjusted - but you'd obviously have to take a little more care to ensure cross browser compatibility).

Having said that, the page looks overcomplicated as it stands. Is there a need for you to have a second head section? a new DTD declaration? a new CSS stylesheet? All of this can (and I'd personally suggest should) be incorporated into the existing document, no?

7. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ah, thanks Paul. I found it was in the menu's CSS file, that was throwing the whole design off. Whew.

And yes, I will be compressing the theme. We are starting advertising campaigns soon and I am trying to fix up the site as best I can. There will be some big changes I hope :D

@Fergal, the problem was the menu centered everything on the page for some reason.

8. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No problem at all. To be honest, nothing to do with me, I just hovered over the text with Firebug and it told me exactly what CSS was being applied. A super little tool I'd defiantly suggest you pick up if you're not already using it.