Can you make money online while in college?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by calebtheslacker, Feb 1, 2010.

1. calebtheslacker

calebtheslacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This may be a broad question, but I will try to narrow it down as I talk! I am wanting to ask the forum what you think about making money in college using the internet, with me being a marketing major.

So I started working with the internet as a business when I was 14, so five years ago. I tried many things, like the typical, nerd making a gaming website. Which from there enhanced my marketing skill. Then I moved on to thinking I knew all of the most worthless information in the world, so I made a forum dedicated to sharing information with people. That plopped FAST. Then I made a fan site/forum dedicated to a video game. It went well and lasted a year before I passed it off to a friend who later trashed it.

My newest project is making a site dedicated to music, which is what I want to go into when I leave college. But I decided that I need to narrow that down, or I need to find a new project that involves less work than what is needed to start from scratch and hope to get somewhere.

So what are some good techniques to gaining some revenue while I am in college? I don't want to spend it on something weird and random, but I want to save it for a future business that I want to work on while I am in college, but it's hard to do something when you have no money!

If you can't think of any good techiniques, what are some ways to market and advertise throughout the internet in hope of grabbing an audience? I mean I can grab some "pathetic" audience, e.g. going to an auto traffic site where people only stay for ten seconds and never come back. But I don't want that, I want some experience as a business to help me grow in wisdom and knowledge throughout my life working with businesses, and not going back to when I was 14 and looking for anyway to brag about how many visitors I got for the day.

2. ASAmoto

ASAmoto
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes,I can.
    It`s not difficult to earn money in college.

3. calebtheslacker

calebtheslacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Could you elaborate please? I know there are many ways, I could go grab another job and accomplish that. But I also want to spend some time doing something that I enjoy, for one, and also gain some experience that will help me along in life, instead of learning to say "Do you want fries with that?"

4. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's very wrong to say that you cannot earn money in college.

However, cash earning has never been so easy. The forum revenue you might be wanting is very hard these days. The forum not only should contain valuable information, it should have various promotion and projects for people to stay by. Holding strong competition, prizes, domain name etc are the ways to make people visit and often stay and be active.

I prefer that you're going to make a music website, but you should be providing free music which is a best way of getting more and more traffic. Did you try paid to download? It's very worth for such type of website you're planning to implement.

A strong site is a best source of income always. Try to advertise your site through various offline and online planning. However, it's very necessary that your site should be interesting and contain valuable contents as by default. I wish you all the best for your projects.

If you're unable to manage a site by now, try:
    - paid to post.
    - complete different promotion and offers.
    - start to blogging.
    - paid to download.

and many others. Hope this might help you.

5. calebtheslacker

calebtheslacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

By "paid to download", do you mean I should provide songs for people to download?

Also, providing free music, would creative commons be about the only place to find free music?

6. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you're no longer planning to put music on download, then you may do blogging for it or start writing about it often as forum or site too.

You may try to put the songs that is widely searched over and reputed. Some songs are very popular that they cannot be found everywhere. I believe you should try to cover all types of music for your site's status if you're planning.

7. Chinahailin

Chinahailin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What`s your major´╝č

#7 Chinahailin, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Caleb do you intend to make money from owning your own site, or can you provide a service that you would charge for?

Can you please tell us a little more about your music business and how it operates? Can you share a link to it's website? If we know a little more about it, we may be able to offer you some suggestions as to how you can generate revenue from it.

9. calebtheslacker

calebtheslacker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to try both in my college lifetime. Would that be hard to within one site? I know for now I want to try ads within the website, which is tricky since I heard the placement with Adsense is very picky. But I want to mainly try to provide a service. Which is where the creativity comes in my opinion, since you want it to look better than the already placed services out there. So I am trying to figure out a way that I can make a minor form of money so I can start saving back for more... costly stuff I guess you could say.

What I want to do when I get out of college is to use my saved money and start working in the music field. Currently, I am already getting a touch of that with being a band manager here in town to test my management skills. But I want to see what i can do about opening an independent label here in Oklahoma, since there aren't any that I know of. So I want to work my way into a music website to test the waters and work on building contacts as I grow.

My business currently is this. I started off with content to see about grabbing people. I started reviewing songs, based on lyrics and song, and rating them and providing them to people as content. I also included a review based on what is in the song for parents since a majority of the people I know around my town who would visit my site would be parents. But now I want to branch out. I feel like I cover more if I went outside the box. But I am not sure how, or what to do. I could provide free music. But where could I find it? And how tough would it be to deal with legally? Would it be worth more time than I have since I am a full time college student?

Some questions I am thinking on carefully and hopefully some that I will figure out as I tag along. Right now, my professor in Small Business Management advised me to make a business plan now, and continue to innovate it as I go. What do you think of this idea? Is a business plan healthy for a website with no office space but a desk in a bedroom?

10. anatomymodel

anatomymodel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it`s necessary to make a plan first.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Caleb have you applied to join the Adsense network yet?

I'd agree with your Professor actually. The first thing I would say about writing your business plan, is that you should focus on writing the first draft for yourself. Try to keep it as realistic and true to your business as possible, don't try to put a positive view on anything or worry about what anyone reading it might think. Tailoring your business plan for other readers or potential investors can come later.

If you'd like some info on business plans you can find some templates linked from our Useful Business Resources / Links thread.

You could also get some advice on business plan preparation in these threads;

Article On Business Plan!
    Developing a business plan.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can definitely make money online while in college.
    You just need an ample time to do your work.

But I suggest to you, study first before working online.