Can you create a popular social media site that doesn't have mobile apps?

Discussion in 'Apps & Software' started by Lucian Hodoboc, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are plenty of social media scripts out there, some offering many of the features of Facebook, so people could technically start a social media site with a minimum investment of just a few thousand dollars (the script price + the hosting price + the domain), but that would only be a website accessible through a browser. Developing apps and having them approved by Google and Apple in their app stores would cost a lot more. And there are cases in which they downright reject the apps of some sites because the sites support ideologies that are not popular (e.g.: Gab.ai).

Do you think it is possible to create a popular social media site that doesn't have mobile apps, and can only be accessed via browsers?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Why would you want to? With smartphones becoming more and more like handheld computers, and tablets becoming more and more popular, people are using mobile devices to access anything online, including social media. In many cases, if your business doesn't have an app, or at least have a website that is mobile-friendly, your competitors will leave you in the dust. The same can be said of social media as well.

3. Inva

Inva
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read somewhere a while back that browsers (classic websites) and not apps are the future and thinking about it, it does not sound crazy at all. Apps are inconvenient, non standardized and too expensive to maintain. Browsers are cross-platform and standardized. Performance issues in the browser are going away by the minute.

Today it's perfectly possible to make complex animations using JavaScript. So then what for do we need apps? If you want to make apps your online costs triple cause you gotta have iOS, Android and of course the website. On the other side, a website only has its own costs and that's that. Makes sense.

Personally i find myself using websites and not apps for a lot of services. For example i visit youtube.com it asks me to use the app, i say no. The app sucks and i can't instantly go somewhere else just by typing in the URL.

https://www.intercom.com/blog/browsers-not-apps-are-the-future-of-mobile/

4. sumit Chauhan

sumit Chauhan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

in these days every leading social media company like facebook, twitter, linked in are working with PWA( possessive web application) instead of doing too many changes in the mobile application.

With PWA you can able to give an application like user experience to your users who access your content through the mobile browser.

5. Jessica A.

Jessica A.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It wouldn't be as popular if it can only be accessed on web browsers. Everybody carries a mobile phone which they can use for accessing many social media sites directly. It would be such a hassle just opening up a web browser and entering the site when you can open it directly from an app.

• Like Like x 1