Can we change website content frequently

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by Azzi87, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Azzi87

Azzi87
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One of the biggest concern of mine is that can we change our webs site content frequently, as i know everybody keep the same content on our web site for more than a year, but still having confusion.

If we can change our content frequently then what would be its effect and how it will be useful for us.

Thanks for you reply:$$:

2. marrick

marrick
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on the nature of a website. For example, if you are running an information blog, then you have to keep the contents updated. In general, you might want to look at the nature of your industry or website when it comes to this matter.

I have been running my client sites for a year now and those websites haven't been updated for a long time yet still rank good. Also, you should also look at the quality of the contents that you want to be changed before making some alterations.

3. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree that it depends upon your site and the material it displays.

If your content is date-related where events are displayed, you need to update the content regularly - possibly daily if necessary. But if it isn't date-specific you can update at less frequent intervals.

If you're changing content just to be changing content, that sounds like a manipulative practice intended to influence search engines. I would advise against that as it could and probably will backfire.

Just do what's natural for your site and whatever helps your visitors the most.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I agree with both marrick and Denise, in fact, Denise makes a very good point. Think of your website as a house. As different parts wear out, or become outdated, you will get new ones. But imagine you own a white ranch style house with a large tree in the front yard. One day, you decide to cut the tree down, add an attached garage to the house, and change a picture window to a bay window, Then you paint the entire house blue. Someone who wishes to visit you will be looking for a white house with a large tree in the front yard, and won't be able to find it.
    The Search engines are the same way. Once your website has been indexed, in later visits the SE's bots will be looking for the same website. If you make too many changes, they won't be able to find it, because it no longer exists. Any benefit you have received on the old website will be lost, and you'll have to start over.
    Of course, sites like blogs or forums will change all the time, but the old content is, in most cases, still there.

5. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with all comments here. For instance, on my blog, my old content is much worse than the content I write now. So I started going back and re-writing that content to make it up to par with what I currently put out. Also, I go over my blog every so often and add new links to it. Basically linking to another page on my blog. If I have content from 3 months ago and I write a new blog post, I'll try to link to that old post (if it's relevant to what I'm talking about) in the new post.

Doing that, I guess I'm changing content frequently. But changing content just for the sake of it, in a way to deceive Google, is something you SHOULDN'T do.

6. Azzi87

Azzi87
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Guys thanks for the effort which you had given while writing the info for me.

7. Autofits

Autofits
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is good to change the website content however make sure that you are not doing it too frequently. After a specific span of time you may think of changing the website content.

8. Bagchi

Bagchi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Azzi! well you have asked a very important question. You know some websites get updated multiple times a week to multiple times a day. But do i really need it. Plz, go to your analytics website and look for the visitor recency data. It will tell you as how much percentage of return visit you are getting on your website. If it good then no need to change the content. but if it declines that means you are not able to retain your visitors and the visitors are not loyal to you. You can take help of inpage analytics that will help you in recognizing as which content on which page needs improvement.

9. EUWindowsHost

EUWindowsHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I believe you always need to update your content, google like the fresh and new content but please just make sure you dont spam the google.