Can too much SEO be a cause of over optimization?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by danielnash, Sep 9, 2015.

1. danielnash

danielnash
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Guys,

I read somewhere that if we do too much SEO, then it can be a cause over-optimization and rank can be down. Now I wanna know from all of you, is that true? And how can we avoid over optimization.

2. zotowatson

zotowatson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, if you are doing quality work with out braking any Guidelines of Google. Then it doesn't harm your website but if your work is not according to Google Guidelines and you are doing to much SEO then Google Panelized or may be blacklisted your domain in Google SERP.

3. Master

Master
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Answer is a big Yes, as it's said that excess of every thing is bad. So just be cautious in overdoing it. Chances are that you might get hit by any google penalty.

4. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course! Google wants us to focus on pleasing human visitors, not SEO. If you're doing "too much SEO," it will backfire.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I can forgive the first two replies to your question, this time, but Denise has been here for over 5 years, and should be ashamed of herself. None of the people above has given a proper answer to your question! They're not wrong, but they really didn't give a truly helpful answer to your question. Zotowatson gave the best beginning for an answer to your question, but stopped - and I have no idea what putting panels up has to do with SEO(I think that's what "Panelized" means).

To begin with, we have to decide what "too much SEO" and "over-optimization" really mean. Denise touched on it when she mentioned "pleasing human visitors, not SEO". This is where people most often make their mistake. They focus on giving the search engines what they think they want, instead of giving the visitors what they need. What the search engines want is to give the searcher the best, most relevant results for their query. What the search engines need to do that is information that tells them where to put the web page, and how high in the results page to put it. In contrast, what the searcher needs, and wants, is the best, most relevant result for their query.
    So, SEO, when done properly, gives the searcher what they want, while giving the search engines what they need.
    Think of the search engine like a human body. A human body needs nourishment to survive. But try to put too much food or water into a human body, and it gets sick, and in some cases, dies. The search engines need information to list your webpage in the proper place, and with the rank it should have. But, if you give it too much, your web page's rankings drop, and in some cases, die.
    One example of Over-optimization is Keyword Stuffing. If you have too many keywords in your content, or your Title Tag, or your "Description Meta-Tag, it becomes too much information for the search engine, and it doesn't work. Too many keywords in your content, and it's not helpful to the reader. Too many in your Title Tag, and the search engines can't figure out where to put it. Too many in your Description, and the search engine can't figure out what the page is all about.
    Another example of over optimization is linking. Yes, links are still important, but don't give the search engines too many. Some people buy links in bulk - as long as there are people willing to buy them, there will be people willing to sell them. Using our "human body" analogy, this would be the equivalent of eating nothing but junk food. Others think that if a certain type of domain extension is good, they should get a bunch of those. Going back to our "human body", that would be the equivalent of eating only one type of food. Another type of "eating too much food" is article submission sites. They submit your article, with the links it contains, to "thousands" of sites. In every one of these examples, you're giving the search engines too much, so your rankings get "sick".
    How do you keep from Over-optimization? By making sure each page is about one thing, and using no more than two keywords for each page. By writing your description, and the content of your page, for the reader, and using keywords sparingly. By writing articles, and blog posts, that educate and inform, and sharing them on a few related networking sites(You can also share a link to them on Facebook and Twitter if you like).
    Design your website's pages to be helpful and informative to the visitor, and write your articles and blog posts to be informative and educational. Present yourself as an expert in your niche. Don't think of SEO as your primary purpose, and you won't overdo it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you see link building as one of the most significant aspect of optimization then yes i have heard that building links very fast is not good for site's ranking. It was probably not the case before 2012 but after entry of panda and penguin this has become significant. But still i would say things are not very clear. Let me explain why do i think so.
    First of all i believe that any policy takes time to get mature, just introducing a very efficient algorithm wont solve the problem of link corruption(as i call it) for google. Google clearly says that links must not be artificial but then is there any tested method that can prevent this. I think even if panda penguin is inactive it will take a lot of time to built a value. And of course since google says links must be made slowly so google also must be knowing that any policy also gets developed slowly so i must not be implementing panda penguin very fast and seriously. It must be in testing phase still.
    So if over optimization is not harming you now it is definitely bad for your future and any business starts earning in future only, so why ruin it?

7. vanessa110

vanessa110
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The reason is that Google wants us to focus on human. It means that the demand of visitors is the first, not SEO.
    As a result, if you're doing over- SEO, you will be mark as spam or something like that. Be nature as much as possible. Google like that!

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks @joeroxx for this comprehensive and helpful explanation. This is what I try to do already, but since I don't know much about SEO, I hesitated to post in this thread. I understand SEO is important, but if you give someone a beautifully wrapped empty box, they aren't going to be pleased, won't return for future purchases, and won't recommend you or your site/shop to others.

9. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Over optimization" is a rather broad term - it can include everything from flat out black hat tactics to what would arguably be considered safe white hat methods. If you're using something like GSA Search Engine Ranker or XRumer to churn out thousands of backlinks to your site rapidly, that would definitely raise a red flag to Google and likely cause you to receive a penalty. At best they may not value any of these backlinks to your site, but an even worse situation is those backlinks might cause your site to drop in ranking and or get de-indexed all together, especially if they trigger a manual review from Google.

If you are writing content to be overly keyword rich, that too can trigger penalties from Google. Churning out tons of low quality articles which don't go into the subject matter in any great detail or offer any valuable insights to the reader, but happen to have a high ratio of some given keywords you are trying to target is a poor user experience which will also attract penalties from Google.

Along that same route, you need to be careful with "doorway" pages. Sure, it may be tempting to mass create thousands of location specific pages for every city and state in the US, but if these are simply templated pages with no unique content on them, they can cause you to get removed from Google's index.

In terms of how to build backlinks to your site, I would suggest looking at sites such as Metafilter or Reddit, and look how links are created naturally within the content posted there. You don't often see "keyword phrases", but rather, generic phrases such as "this site has some more information about this topic" or branded terms, or more long tail phrases such as "my favorite potato soup recipe".

10. steveposter

steveposter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Over optimization is just like manipulation for the search engine and I would prefer for the users intent instead of exact keyword phrases that are usually used for their optimization process. Provide great user experience from your site and establish within your related field.

11. geeksremote24-7

geeksremote24-7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is no such great use of too much seo.Use effective off page seo techniques and share quality content related to your website.For example create quality blogs and share on high pr blog posting sites,Do blog commenting,Question answers.

12. Grantly Lynch

Grantly Lynch
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am totally self taught at SEO and have had some pleasing success. I would say as long as you avoid trying to trick or 'black hat' google you are going in the correct direction. Remember Google likes fresh related content so keep your site/blog updated. My top tip is to seek good links from high ranker PR sites and put unique content on those sites so Google can tell it is genuine and not cut and paste or automated.

13. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, there is. It happens al the time when some one hears of a "new" technique that increases a page's rank. For example, if someone hears that a certain domain extension relates to quality websites, i.e. ".edu" sites, they will pursue nothing but ."edu" sites, which makes their link profile look fake(because it is), and their rankings will drop. A very common mistake people make is to "stuff" their content with keywords, lowering the quality of their content, and violating Google's Webmaster Guidelines.

14. The View Abu Dhabi

The View Abu Dhabi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should take care of your anchor texts as well, don't over optimize the same anchor text over and over again. Instead use synonyms of your anchor text and some naked keywords like "click here, visit my website, check this site" etc.

15. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it is true that over optimization deranks your keywords. Sharing my persoal experience here that for a keyword "PrestaShop Addons", my website was on 5th position in Google, I tried to some higher ranking by giving some backlinks but the result was not in my favor. Now the same keyword is on 18th pos.

Of course a big lose for me. You can use ahrefs to track the keyword usage and keeping it in a good ratio will save you from deranks in this way.

16. Magento_oCodewire

Magento_oCodewire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think that too much of the optimization are affect business but if you are using the SEO in a proper manner, with the usage of the rules. Use the SEO on proper manner with regular manner.

17. Ourbusinessladder

Ourbusinessladder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, over-optimisation will lead to the penalty. Dump keywords in the contents of the site, buying bulk backlinks may lead to over-optimisation. I think this may also be termed as black/grey hat SEO.

18. Adrian Smith

Adrian Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In short Yes, over optimization can harm your ranking. Try to be as natural as you can. In onpage more focus on visitors point of view. and in off page while putting link just thought should i post this link if google is not their, if answer is yes than go ahead.

19. Elegant_Designs

Elegant_Designs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Onsite Optimisation - as long you follow the best practices and Google guidelines, you are safe; I have helped a friend to onsite optimise his website as he was complaining it wasn't ranking at all. What I've found out was that he has a lot of duplicated content and no clear indication of what his website/pages are about (1 page website). After optimising his onsite, his targeted keywords went to page 1 after a week or so. Please take note his domain is almost a year old at that time. This is an indication that onsite optimisation plays a major role.

Offsite Optimisation - is usually where you get your website penalised due to over optimisation; I will suggest to only go for high quality backlinks and niche related. A few of them will help you a lot more than a thousand of lousy links; don't forget Google now has real-time update, so getting your webpage red flag is almost immediate.

20. bangthetable

bangthetable
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Over optimization would cause a keyword ranking drop on Google search engine result page. So we have to post certain amount of links for the backlinks and keyword ranking improvement. Posting same URL on too many websites with same content would affect the website rankings.