Can This Move Hurt My Name?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by yabin, Jul 7, 2012.

1. yabin

yabin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My company is a design firm, specializing in high-end couture special occasion garments. For 3 years we were in a great neighborhood. The interior space has a very high-end, elegant classy feel. The quality of work is equally stunning. So when clients come in there is a certain perception about us and what we offer. Unfortunately, we were recently told that the property is under foreclosure and the new buyer wants all tenants out. Unavoidably, we have two days before we move and we don’t have too much of a choice at this point.

We found another space and we are scheduled to move in Monday. The price is great, we have the liberty to create the same high-end perception on the interior, offer the same quality of service, but our biggest concern is the AREA. Not that great! I’m not so much worried about security than I am worried about what our clients will think when they get to the parking lot down the street and have to walk to our studio. There are homes within eyes view that are not kept up; the landscape has not been maintained for a while; the business on either side has not put any creative thought into their window merchandising; the neighbor on one side seems to attract the wrong crowd. I’m not sure if I’m being too picky, but I just don’t want my business located anywhere. Perception means a lot and clients don’t mind paying the high price tag when they have a good perception of you and your brand. We are trying to build and maintain a certain image/name and I’m not sure if this situation will hurt or help our image. I just don’t know at this point what to do. All of the spaces in the upscale areas (ideally where we would like to be) is way out of our scope, in terms of budget.

Alternatively, I live in a luxury condo downtown. There are several areas that I can do my consultations outside of my unit. However, I would need to bring the client in my unit for fittings. Not too much of a worry there. I’ll just need to tidy up more often. The lack of parking and perception is my only concern with this option.

I appreciate any and all of your objective points of views.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately that will affect the perception of your business. Clients would feel more comfortable and at ease if they walk through a nice area to get to your business premises. If you have a high end business you will help reinforce that image much better, if you are in a better area.

I'd suggest that you contact a solicitor regarding this. As a tenant you have rights and the success and perhaps even the survival of your business is at stake here. Your solicitor will be able to advise you if you can be forced out of the building or if there is anything you can do to extend the time that you stay there, and hence have more time to find an appropriate property for your business. You could also try speaking to the new owner directly to explain your circumstances and see if there is any way you can work with him / her to extend your time there.

Good luck with it and please do keep us posted.

3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How long have you been told that your unit was on foreclosure? As far as I know, it takes a period of time so that tenants on the unit can find a new location. Have you tried talking to your lawyer or an property agent to help you out? I'm sure they could help you - and make sure that you could spend more time looking for more and better relocation units for you and you business.

Well, in terms of your business name, or your name itself - yes it can affect your business name. But definitely you have to further study the are on how will you make use the are to still get that catch to your clients (that is if you do not have any other choice anymore).

Goodluck anyway.

Regards,
    Mark T.

4. Emily Smith

Emily Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should choose a name of your company according to its services and branding. We know very well that business name has very importance in determine its success.

5. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, he has already his business namen and he is afraid that what currently happened to his business location may affect its whole operation in terms of his client preference.

6. Ben Advice

Ben Advice
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Unfortunately this may hurt your business simply based on your clientele. High end usually means that there is an emphasis on luxury appearance, and the move may give the idea that you are downgrading.

Inversely, if you are offering a quality service, there will likely be a customer base that follows you no matter where you end up.

Success can come in many different forms, and both appearance and quality of your finished product factor in. The move may be unavoidable, but quality work will always be noticed.

Good luck!

7. jcworlditsme

jcworlditsme
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As first impressions are everything when it comes to customers, I would advise carefully considering any decision to move before actually doing this.