Can someone explain this in a much better way?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jybrael, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Jybrael

Jybrael
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Whenever I browse through the internet for advice on how to better market a website....(I don't own one at the moment but do plan on starting a few soon) I always find articles related to SEO. They all say the same thing mostly and I have tried to search for what that is...SEO as far as I know stands for Search Engine Optimization. But the question that I want to ask is what do they mean when they say have a good keyword density? Or Do proper SEO? If anyone can simplify SEO for me it would be really nice, thank you.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You are right about what SEO stands for, and was once a way to prepare, or optimize, your website to get the highest ranking on the search engines. SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, now refers to the entire process of marketing your website, including keyword analysis, on-page optimization, and off-page optimization. Keyword Analysis refers to the process used to find the best keywords that will bring you visitors that are most likely interested in the subject of your website. If you are a business selling products or services, you want to rank for keywords that are searched by people most likely to buy your product or service. Keyword Density refers to the percentage of the content on your website that is actual keywords. I wouldn't worry about a specific percentage, just make sure your content sounds natural when you read it. On-page Optimization refers to the tasks performed to make sure your website is interesting to the reader/visitor, is easy to navigate, has no coding errors, and does not violate the search engine's webmaster guidelines. Off-page Optimization and linking used to mean the same thing, but linking is now only a part of off-page optimization, which now includes various ways of spreading information about your business, which will brand you as an expert in your field, and covertly encourage people to visit your website.
    Unfortunately, a simple explanation of SEO is not enough to show you how to use it, as there is a lot of information involved in the various steps, too much to explain in a single thread. You can find more information about the various steps in our "Featured Sales & Marketing, Online Promotion & SEO Threads". You can also browse the threads in our "Sales, Marketing, Online Promotion & SEO" forum, which unfortunately also includes a lot of misinformation as well. There are a few people here, including myself, who can help you tell the difference. You can also subscribe to blogs such as SearchEngineLand and Search Engine Journal, which can help you keep up-to date. If you have any more specific questions that have not already been addressed in another thread, feel free to start another thread to ask your question.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO is nothing but optimizing a website in a way that helps maintain the website in a much proper way so that it becomes search engine friendly and helps to attain the keyword search results to come up in a much better and elegant manner. The audience queries help meet the result with the website that comes across in the search results.

4. alexfernandes

alexfernandes
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I guess joeroxx has almost covered everything about SEO. But still I would advise you to strictly focus on quality content and relevant backlinks for ranking your website in the top of SERPs.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

On-page optimization is only one part of SEO. Ignoring the other parts means you won't get the results you expect.

I didn't want to go into a lot of detail because Jybrael had asked for a simple explanation of what SEO is. As you can see, even a simple explanation is a bit long. However, you are correct about quality content and backlinks being two important parts of SEO

6. anubhavsharma78

anubhavsharma78
    uix_expand uix_collapse

SEO is a very wide topic

There is ONpage and Offpage
    Blackhat and Whitehat

ON Page
    Done on your website or webpage to optimize it for better suitable web experience for users and making a searchengine Friendly website

Off page

Activities done other than on your website
    Link building
    Blog commenting and many more

White hat
    Methods used to promote your website which are right according to major search engine guidelines.

BlackHat
    Wrong methods and unhealthy practises for your website.

7. atlantisrocks

atlantisrocks
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many factors about your site and pages that affect how your pages rank in the search engines. And, of course, most people mean Google when they discuss ranking.

Search Engine Optimization simply means how to make the search engines (like Google) value your page and rank it well.

Over the years search engines have become more sophisticated and the techniques of SEO have changed.

For example, in the past the keyword density (number of times your keyword appears on your page compared to the total number of words) was important. Now keyword placement seems more important, along with the content of the page.

In the past many people attempted to get lots of other sites to link to their web pages. They created many useless pages containing articles and posts that had links to their web pages. Google now discounts many spammy sites that contained these useless pages.

Here is an excellent article that describes keyword density, one aspect of SEO, in 2015:

http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to/2390744/are-keywords-relevant-to-seo-in-2015

8. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

The internet is a treasure trove of information, but you cannot take everything at face value as it might be cooked up. I found it really difficult when there was a need to update myself, read through and grow. Current scenario SEO is all about how social can you get. The traditional approach of sales is no more valid. Have the people valuate you and reach out to them in a way they review you helps.