Can someone advise me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by mark2013, Oct 13, 2013.

1. mark2013

mark2013
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello, my name's Mark.

I am a history student at university and my main area is Oral History. I want to start something online to do with this subject but I don't know how to go about it. Would it be better to start a blog, social media site, I'm not sure?

I want it to be a place where I and other's in my field can post and read things on oral history, and people from all over the world can have access to it. It is a way for people in my field to make contact and get educated but also to findout where events and coarses are taking place. Eventually I would like away to earn an income from it somehow.

Could someone stear me in the right direction?

Thanks, Mark

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Mark. Welcome to Business Advice Forum.

I would suggest you to open a blog and post the historical events that had happened. You can post History of an individual which is interesting and something which most of the people don't know about. It can make the visitors revisit for more of your interesting contents. Also, you can promote your blog in Social media site which will be beneficial to get traffic and is useful for SEO. After that you can generate revenue from your blog with Ads.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Mark ..
    Your subject 'Oral History' is very good . I think you may first start your blog with proper SEO so that the traffic starts crawling towards your web page. Apart from this, you may start making some videos about history and upload on Youtube, make some good original videos that might attract the visitors with an original and attractive thumbnail. This is how you may promote your work..

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Mark. I also agree with the suggestions regarding starting a blog. There are a number of ways that you could get started, including the following;

1. Sign up at http://www.blogger.com and create a new blog there. It won't cost you anything and you can get your blog up and running very quickly. This is a great way to get started, if it works for you and enjoy what you are doing, you can move on from that and expand your business at a later date.

2. Register your own domain name, purchase some hosting and then create a blog using WordPress blogging software.

You can add advertising to your blog, with either of those methods and start earning some revenue from the sale of those ads. The amount you earn will depend largely on how much quality traffic your blog receives.

Does that sound like something that might work for you?

5. mark2013

mark2013
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for replies and assistance. when doing a blog can i get it so more and more people contribute to it. Almost like an online community?

6. mark2013

mark2013
    uix_expand uix_collapse

choosing a domain name?

if i buy a domain name would you recommend i buy one that can work well in terms of SEO?

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

When I read this thread, two things stood out. The first was in your first post where you said you want it to "be a place where I and others in my field can post and read things on oral history, and people from all over the world can have access to it". The second was the quoted section of your second post, where you compared what you arelooking for as "an online community". What about a forum? A forum is an online community, it allows access from people all over the world, and you and others can post and read things on oral history. A forum qualifies on all three points.

Choose a domain name that would be memorable and easy to remember. It can be related to oral history in a unique way, but doesn't need to be obvious, for instance "OralHistoryFoum.com", or "OralHistoryBlog.com". You can spread the word about the website using social media, then work on SEO if you like, but don't use SEO as a primary motivator when designing or editing the site, or when choosing a domain name. Of course, this would apply no matter what type of website you end up using.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Get a domain which is short and would be easy to recall. Do not simply go for domains which have keywords stuffed. Instead you could have a combination of something related to history with your domain name.

9. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Mark2013
    Your idea is good. It all depends on how you go about creating value for your blog/website visitors/suspects, and how you are able to communicate that value so that the suspect will turn into a prospect that you can start building a relationship with, that eventually will be convincing enough that he will want to buy, thereby becoming a customer. Eventually you want this customer to return, by becoming loyal to your brand and repeat buying over and over all you suggest.
    I recently found quite a good example of a blog from the perfume industry. Her readers are extremely loyal and will probably buy almost anything she suggests because of the high value of her advice and comments and the regard she has built up in her field. If you do could follow her example, by applying what she did in your field, you'd go much further in getting the same the same reward! Check it out at perfumeshrine.blogspot.com Her blog is quite famous as you will see from the press releases on her site.

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Your advice would be appropriate for someone writing a blog that is primarily designed for selling, either a product or service, as PerfumeShrine is designed to do. Mark2013, however, is looking for a way to communicate with others who share an interest in oral history, with generating income being a secondary purpose. As such, if his blog entries were all about selling something, he would alienate his visitors, rather than attract more. If he decides to run ads on the site, they might be related to the subject of the blog, but would not be his primary focus.

11. Changed Creation

Changed Creation
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Joeroxx
    The example I used perfumeshrine is in fact not primarily designed for selling. In fact she has only a banner at the top of another perfume company and one banner at the side of an aromatherapy recipe's of another company. Personally she makes no sales, though she must be getting something for the 2 banners on the site. The site consists of articles through which she reports interviews, shares opinions and gives advice. Nonetheless, even with nothing to buy, she has a devoted audience, because she "sells" the passion for The Art of Perfumery.
    Under About, this is what you will find:
    "The Perfume Shrine project is an award-winning independent online publication offering articles on perfumery including fragrance reviews, essays on the science of fragrance and aroma raw materials, articles on perfume history, interviews with perfumers and industry professionals, trend-watching, practical tips for shoppers and fragrance advertising evaluation, as well as flavor articles and musings on sensual pleasures & the arts.
    Its aim is to provide an Epicurean resource for anyone interested in scent, flavor and the arts and to offer an independent assessment of products on the market. But its most important goal is to share the passion for scents, pose interesting questions and ignite a genuine appreciation for the art of living!"

Now, take the words "perfume" and "fragrance" out, and lets substitute with words like "oral history", "stories untold", "research", "interviews", "real-life experiences", "memories of our life" ... and redesign:

"The OralHistory project is an award-winning independent online publication recording current history. It includes interviews, essays and publications on the Science of Oral History, recorded material, articles containing interviews of memories and stories of true events, interviews with historic influencers of our lifetime, trendsetters, practical tips for recorders of Oral history, evaluation of publications, Events and Courses available, as well as Reviews and musings on the art of listening and recording.
    Its aim is to provide an online platform for anyone interested in the systematic collection and preservation of living people’s testimony about their own experiences and to offer an independent recording platform of that history and other products on the market. But its most important goal is to share the passion for recording real life stories, pose interesting questions and ignite a genuine appreciation for the art of collecting, recording, story-telling and learning from them."

Its just an idea...I actually know nothing about Oral History! In fact before I Googled it I thought it sounded a bit bland and unexciting. But now that I've done a bit of research I can sense there is great passion and potential in such a website where people can contribute and oral historians record... A website that actually helped me understand a little bit of what Mark2013 does is http://dohistory.org/on_your_own/toolkit/oralHistory.html#WHATIS
    The idea of refering him to the PerfumeShrine was for him to experience what it sounds like when a person writes with a lot of passion about a subject they are fervently interested in. Money making comes only if you deliver something that is highly valued, because people only part with money, if the amount they pay is lower than the perceived value of what they are buying. Money always flows to the highest value.

So Mark, if you are able to design a platform where the information of current memories can be collected, sifted, ordered and recorded and you can find a way to entice people to bring those stories to you, and you become the gate keeper of the records, the trainer of how to record for wannabe oral historians, and the publisher of events and courses, money will follow the value!

• Like Like x 2