Can paid links harm my ranking?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jaysh4922, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello frnd, urgently needed your views...
    Thanks
    Sanjay...

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The question is how google know that the paid is natural link or paid link?

3. jimarmstrong

jimarmstrong
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course! Since Google Penguin update that Paid links are known as spam which is also now part of Negative SEO.

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

"Paid lnks" are most often associated with those who sell links in bulk, many of which come from poor quality websites and/or websites that are not related to the subject of the website. These are not the "natural" links that the SEs crave. Each link you get is considered an endorsement of your site, and it would not make sense for a large quantity of poor quality websites to endorse you. Therefore, if you have a large number of these types of links, Google will know that they are "paid links".

5. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paid links can be flagged accidentally as well without the purchaser even knowing it. Sometimes people pay for links with no intention of cheating Google.

Let's say you bought a banner ad on a website and the seller of that ad doesn't make it "nofollow". In this case over time (if you have a lot of these) then they will be looked upon as paid links that are trying to manipulate rank. Even though you're just advertising your business the mistakes of others could incur a penalty on your site.

6. MoneyTrack

MoneyTrack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As google evolves they are going to continue to find ways to reward real genuine links, and find ways to punish "spammers." There are ways to get links out there while adding to the online world, and without spamming the world. I'm sure you have something to offer people. If you provide them with something that they want, they will be happy to click on your links. Best of luck to you!

7. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read an article, Google does spend money and send their engineer to visit paid link site.

8. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They do that because the truth is their algorithm is not yet designed to detect if a link is paid or not. Algorithm changes depending on the needs of users. And paid links are definitely irrelevant as one of the needs of the users.

• Like Like x 1
  9. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paid link is not profitable your site. Make sure that the links are not coming from the link farms which are penalized. Google doesn't allow making an attempt to manipulate your website ranking and this black hat practice is on red alert.

10. micheal.burns1

micheal.burns1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Don't prefer to buy paid link. What if you buy and Google track it then unnecessarily it will be waste of money and your site would be penalized by penguin update.

So, kindly avoid it.

11. bermuda

bermuda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's a bit difficult to answer this question because sometimes paid links might damage credibility of the websites while at other times, gathering a few high quality links, paid ones, can help websites achieve better ranks because the links have originated from highly relevant web sources.

Even large SEO companies and marketing agencies are using paid links for their customers, for instance listing their web addresses on relevant, high PR directories. It is generally suggested to minimize the number of paid links, and instead focus on trying to win some good editorial links.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, paid links can harm your site. Google even provides a method for reporting paid links. Just don't do it.

13. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Those sites listed in yahoo directory and those who bought signatures link, are these also concidered paid links?

14. BacklinksInc

BacklinksInc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes paid links are bad but heres an excellent method. I contact regular websites that dont sell links actually and pitch them to sell me a link. This way you will get quality links from real websites. Works like a charm, Ive been able to get strong PR5 links for only $20 per month this way. With 0-2 obl. Which is great

15. nagavenkata

nagavenkata
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As long as the process is manual there will be no harm and Google will not be knowing the thing. However, opting for the unethical black hat seo methods might be danger for your website.

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't know about forum signature links, but my understanding is that Google don't consider links in the Yahoo directory to be paid links. The reason for this is because you are paying to submit your site and have it assessed by the directory editors, in other words you could pay to submit your site and they still might decide not to list it. Personally I feel that there is an element of double standards here, because even after you have your site approved and added to Yahoo directory, you have to pay a high annual charge to keep it there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Interesting :D I'd rather not list there unless it brings reasonable traffic. but still no different to those who pay links with recurring bill every year.

18. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Follow this video, Matt Cutts answered it. Yahoo directory, BOTW, and business.com are not simply accept link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pu1YWcIh04

19. danemedel

danemedel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

nice topic here, i am also planning to do a paid directory submission with my sites but I am still in doubt. Glad to found this thread. Now I am learning from here. Thanks guys.

20. Robin Williams

Robin Williams
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google penalize the link farms who are involve in selling backlinks - So, next time, if you are buying the links; make sure that the links are not coming from the link farms which are penalized. Google doesn't allow to make an attempt to manipulate your website ranking and this black hat practice is on red alert.